Ensnared

Rui's POV:

"This is bad..."

I peaked my head around the wall I was hiding behind, gaze landing on a group of scale demons who were vehemently searching for any breathing humans to dispose of.

My eyes flicked over to the cowering family hiding behind me. A husband, a wife, and a child. 

"They don't seem to have a mind of their own, so they must only be following orders given to them prior to when this whole thing started," I thought to myself, taking a step around the corner as the mother kept her hand over the child's mouth.

"Spider Breathing: Third Form: Silent Spinneret."

I manipulated my nichirin wires, silently inching them closer and closer to the group of five scale demons.

Tightening my fingers, I forced each of the eight wires to snap upwards, effortlessly ensnaring the group of five scale demons, each and every one of them turning into a pile of scales that littered the floorboards.

The family took this as an opportunity to make a run for the door that would lead them outside, while I stayed behind for a second or two to ensure that these things stayed dead.

I snapped my wires back towards myself, turning myself in the direction of the door.

"It's still a few hours until sunrise. We have to continue holding out, especially since families like these are at constant risk of death."

I took a single step out the door, eyes narrowing as the dozens of other demon slayers that I have been traveling with continued to fight back against the scale demons. The family I had helped were now being escorted away from the ongoing battle.

"Good."

I leaped down into the fray, wires whipping in the air as I reached into my kimono, unsheathing my katana.

"Spider Breathing: First Form: Brown Recluse!"

Crack

Performing a total of eight slashes with my katana, I easily wore down the toughness of a few of the scale demons surrounding me, specifically, one of the slashes managing to behead one of them

Wasting no time, my wires stretched outwards, wrapping around the rest of the ones surrounding me, slicing them up into tiny pieces.

Of course, it wasn't easy. My nichirin wires are always capable of easily slicing through a demon's flesh. I have yet to encounter a demon whose durability could cause my wires to struggle to slice through them until now.

Now, against these scale demons, I need to apply far more force into slicing them up with my wires than I usually ever need to. This toughness is other worldly, and if this continues, my wires will eventually become dull.

I dashed forward, beheading two more scale demons with a wide pivot slash, sending a few scales flying from the impact.

Preemptively, I leapt back, narrowly avoiding a compacted beam of scales that shot out from the ground, directly beneath where I had been previously standing.

"These things may not have minds of their own, but they do seem to have taken some traits from Dragon, the one who created them," I thought, lowering myself into a crouch in order to avoid a saw-like scale attack.

Without wasting any more time, I buried my fist into the chest of the scale demon, my superhuman strength given to me by my quirk, more than enough to leave a sizable dent in the thing's chest.

I flipped my body around into the air, delivering an overhead kick to the thing's head, slamming it into the ground, only to end it with a slash to the neck.