Jackpot

Genki's POV:

Quiet.

It was all too quiet. The screaming silence of the dreadfully early morning became all that I could hear, all that I could sense.

"Ugh! There must be more scale demons here somewhere!"

I placed my hands on my hips, staring up into the blank, pitch black sky, thanks to the ever present dome that encompassed all of Tokyo. I let out a long, exaggerated sigh of frustration and disappointment.

I suppose I should be glad that there aren't any more scale demons that just prevent the number of casualties. However, can one really blame me for being so disappointed?

I wasn't given a group of demon slayers to accompany me, mainly because I set off on my own before any arrangements could be made. It has just been me against any and all enemies I come across, and so far, it's worked fairly well.

Not a single scratch on my body, not a single worry on my mind.

Every scale demon I have come across has all met a swift end by my blade. Whenever those behemoths are created, my superior speed and movements allow me to instantly behead even them with little effort.

I am beginning to become somewhat tired, but nowhere near how other demon slayers likely feel throughout Tokyo.

"Perhaps I should search for one of the Hashira," I thought to myself, lowering my head as my arms dropped to the side, taking a few steps forward. "I shouldn't be too far away from one of their locations... it wouldn't be a terrible idea."

All I need is a bit of a challenge. Is that so much to ask?

Something more dangerous than a simple scale demon, something that'll make me dodge seriously, something that'll make me swing seriously.

I placed the side of my glaive into my left hand, right hand holding it at the handle.

"Why did I have to go and walk into an abandoned neighborhood? Nothing's happening here. Nothing of significance, at least. Everyone's left, and all scale demons I found here were all swiftly taken care of."

I continued to walk down the eerily quiet road, nothing but the sound of my footsteps, nothing but the company of my thought. The only lighting in this dimly lit neighborhood is burning houses and the flickering lamp posts.

Crack

My eyes narrowed, senses heightening as I instinctively pointed a finger to my left, sending out a razor-sharp playing card while side-eyeing the strange projectile that emerged from the shadows.

The playing card and the mystery projectile struck each other at the same time, destroying the other upon contact, creating a small shockwave of energy.

I smiled slightly, turning my body around fully to stare into the shadows, the origin of the mystery projectile.

"That didn't look like one of those scales. It looked different. Perhaps a normal demon?" I thought to myself, twirling my glaive in between my fingers as I took a step forward.

"What kind of pathetic attempt for an attack was that?" I questioned aloud, chuckling as I prepared myself to dash forward and confront whatever was hiding in the shadows, only for the silhouette of a person to emerge out from the shadows

I raised an eyebrow in interest, tilting my head to the side as I deflected another rogue projectile that shot out from the person's chest.

"A demon slayer! Finally! I've been waiting to run into one of you... these normal humans have barely satiated my hunger," the demon said, rubbing its nape, sporting a cocky smile that rivaled my own.