Heroism

Tsukiauchi's POV:

I pushed through the crowd of people, phone pressed up against my ear, frowning in fear and frustration.

"Yes, yes, I know, bu—"

"Naomasa, please. I understand your worry, but as the symbol of peace, I must commit to my sworn duty of protecting this country," my best friend, Allmight, spoke over the phone, no room for negotiation in his tone.

While we were only talking over the phone, I could practically hear the frown on his face. I knew for a fact that he no longer maintained his signature smile. His voice told me all I needed to know.

My fingers clenched tighter around my phone, eyes narrowing as I took a deep breath. 

"You don't understand! These creatures are too powerful. Sure, you'll be able to last for a while, but with your injury--"

"You don't think I understand, Naomasa?" Allmight questioned, incredulously over the phone. "I understand full well of the risks I will inevitably be making by doing this. There are always risks in being a hero, I'm sure you know. This is no different."

"My injury should not impede with me saving as many people as I can. Millions. Millions have already fallen to the hands of these beings, Tsukaiuchi. I will not rest until this villain faces justice for their crimes. This is mass murder, and I must do all I can to prevent as many deaths as possible."

I sighed deeply, looking around the large reinforced room, filled to the brim with civilians seeking safety from the outside.

I suppose my panic and worry for my friend blinded me to how these people must be feeling. To how I am truly feeling deep down. True, unbridled fear.

Men were trying to calm down their families, women were consoling their children, and the children were balling their eyes out, constantly asking where the heroes were, asking when they would be saved. Each and every one of them have likely seen a greater amount of mass death in the last few hours than most adults witness within their entire lives.

All of these people were waiting desperately for someone to help them, for someone to save them from the chaos. They were all waiting for Allmight. They needed their symbol of peace. But, I knew better. This time, the symbol of peace would not be enough. Not even close.

And yet... what other choice did we have? What other choice did Allmight have?

He has to do this. He must fight those creatures, even if he dies trying. Now, people need a greater semblance of hope. They've lost all hope, and now hope must be restored. 

I nodded to myself, taking a deep breath in and a deep breath out. "You're right... you're right. I'll do my best to protect and console the people within this bunker. Just... promise me you'll come back alive."

Allmight-- no... Toshinori. He chuckled for the first time today. Solemnly, as if attempting to create a form of solace with his signature laugh. 

"I'll do my best, my friend."

Whatever was to happen tonight, whether we win or lose, whether we live or die, Japan will never be the same again.

<•------------•>

Giran's POV:

"Well, isn't this something~" 

The group of thugs, notorious in the back alleyways of Tokyo, all collectively glued their gazes onto me, my partially squinted eyes peering right back at them. "I suppose they found it fit to take advantage of the chaos to screw with me."