Chapter 76 Asking Permission

Stepping out of the cab I tugged down my skirt, thin coat flapping in the breeze. For once I had dressed up for my brother, royal blue long sleeved dress and my black coat. I had my clutch in my hand as I walked up to the doors, the man opening it for me and I could see the line-up waiting to get in. Handing over my coat I walked up to the maître's, his head staying down and I cleared my throat gently.

"There is a 2 hour wait." He said without looking up.

"Reservations under Carmichael." I said firmly, seeing him glance up and then back down.

"Oh excuse me." He jerked his head up, seeing the name on his list, "Right this way mademoiselle, Monsieur Carmichael has already arrived."

Nodding I let him lead me into the restaurant, surprised that Jax was this highly accepted in the elite circles. We were walking towards the upper levels, reserved for the higher class and as we got closer I was shocked to see a salt and pepper man sitting at a table on his own. He looked up and saw me, a smile breaking out on his face and he stood. Walking up to him I kissed his cheek, holding him tightly for a moment.

"Dad what are you doing here?" I murmured, letting the waiter hold my chair so I could sit.

"Jax called, let me know you were coming and I flew out." He explained, making me frown.

"Dad you didn't have to fly all the way out here just for me." I said softly, feeling a tad guilty.

"I had some things to grab from the office here anyways." He waved me off, making me raise an eyebrow at him.

"No you didn't." I grinned, seeing him flush.

"You know it's usually the parents who know when the kids are lying, not the other way around." My dad laughed, touching my cheek gently.

"Well you're a terrible liar." I shrugged, seeing him grin at me.

He reached over, taking my hand in his and he squeezed. I was about to say something when I heard footsteps behind us.

"Sorry I'm late guys. Traffic was hell from the office." Jax announced, coming up to our dad, hugging him. "Dad, good to see you."

"Look at you sounding all grown up." I teased, standing and hugging him tightly, "Traffic was hell. Business meeting. Suit and tie. Money."

"One of us has to be a grown up." He shot back, kissing my cheek before sitting down, "How did you like the surprise?"

"It was great." I nodded, glancing over at our dad, "Mom's gonna be pissed if she finds out."

"Let me deal with her darling." My dad patted my hand, looking at the menu, "Hmm, what's good here?"

I perused the menu, drowning out my dad and brother as I decided on what I wanted. Going down I found the wines, perusing them as well, finger tapping the edge of the menu.

"Lila?" Jax's voice made me jerk my head up, glancing between the both of them, seeing the waiter standing there.

"Red or white?" my dad asked, an amused look on his face, "And have you decided?"

"Oh whatever you're having is fine." I nodded, shutting the menu, "And I'll have the crab please."

"Excellent." The waiter nodded, taking the menu and pouring the wine in my glass before leaving.

"So what are you doing in New York?" my dad asked, sniffing his wine before taking a sip, "I thought you were in Sacramento this week."

"I am. I had to come and get a dress. The Hall of Fame inductions are next weekend so..." I shrugged, seeing Jax lean back in his chair.