Chapter 83 Corey & Working It Out

He held out his arm and I set my glass on a table before giving a wave to the four people standing around. Slipping my arm into his we walked through the crowd, everyone parting a bit as they saw him coming. He had an amazing career, nearly 25 years and I hoped I made as much of an impact as he did if I got there. Going up to the bar he ordered drinks for the both of us, leading us away to a quiet corner. There were tall chairs and we slipping into them, hiding away from the crowds.

"What's going on?" he asked finally, undoing the button on his suit.

"What makes you think something is up?" I mumbled, taking a sip of the cool drink.

"Because you're drinking and we're together." He chuckled deeply, making me smile a bit, "Whenever I see you, your life is usually falling apart."

"That is true." I nodded, crossing my legs, "I had a defining moment, let's call it, in my life a few weeks ago."

"Oh?"

"You didn't hear?" I raised an eyebrow, seeing him shake his head with a frown.

"I've been at the cabin for the last 3 weeks. I wanted some privacy before this and Summer slam." He explained and I winced, wondering how he was going to take it.

"I was in New York a few weeks ago, finding something to wear for tonight." I began slowly, seeing a frown cross his face, hearing the intensity in my words, "I went to a jewellery store and the one I chose just happened to be the one two men decided to rob."

"What?" he exclaimed, catching the attention of a few people.

"IT's fine." I waved them off before turning back to him, "It was just a freak accident and bad timing. Plus the media really overdramatized everything."

"What happened?" he asked, looking worried even though it already happened.

"Basically long story short...I got shot." I blurted out, seeing his eyes narrow.

"Are you serious?" he grabbed my hand, holding it tightly, "How are you here than?"

"It was just a graze. They had a gun, told me to put my phone down which I was but it went off and they just shot. It went wild and grazed my thigh." I reassured him, letting go and hiking up my dress, showing him my leg.

"Oh Jesus." He groaned, seeing the pink scar before I dropped my dress, "For the first time I don't know what to say."

"You don't have to say anything, it happened and I survived." I smiled, seeing his worried face, "What all this lead to was that I could have died and I don't want to live my life worried about what people think. I have feelings for Seth Mark, but Roman is making my life difficult about it. I don't want to waste time with him."

"Then don't." he told me seriously, "I've always watched over you when I can and it may not be all the time but the feeling is still the same. I will always worry about you getting your heart broken but I won't be the one to say no. You have to live though your mistakes but if you feel Seth isn't I will support you."

"That is what I think I needed to hear." I breathed a sigh of relief, reaching over to hug him tightly, "This is why I will always need you."

"I might not be here forever though October." He murmured in my ear, making me jerk back.

"Are you thinking about..." I swallowed harshly, my breath picking up, "Retiring?"

"No but I will have to at some point." He pointed out, making me frown, "As much as I hate to admit it I am getting older."