Chapter 94 Doing What's Best & Finally Trusting Him

Sunday Afternoon.

I was in my room, finishing up all my packing when the knock came that I knew was coming. Sighing I finished zipping it up and turned slightly, resting my hand on top of the case.

"Come in." I called softly, watching the doorknob turn and the door open.

Jeff walked into the room, shutting the door behind him and faced me fully for the first time in days. Things were different and we both knew it, locking eyes from the small distance. Moving into the room he made his way to the bed, sitting on the edge, the mattress and suitcase dipping towards him. I stayed where I stood, the silence filling up the room till I felt like I was going to scream.

"I'll miss you." He began, and I finally turned, seeing him sitting there, hands clasped between his knees.

"I'll miss you too." I nodded, moving to sit next to him, sitting side by side.

"I really messed this up didn't I?" he groaned, and I pulled my feet up, sitting cross-legged.

"It's not messed up Jeff, it's just...different now." I tried to reassure him, seeing him turn and raise an eyebrow, hearing through the pathetic attempt .

"I think..." he began, stopping when his eyes found mine, and I knew immediately what he was going to say, "I think it's best we stay away for awhile...from each other."

"See this is what I was afraid of." I exclaimed, jumping to my feet, "I knew this would happen and I was going to lose you."

"You're not losing me Lila." Jeff protested immediately, "But I can't watch you fall in love with someone else. I can't watch WWE and see you day in and day out with Seth, feeling the way that I do."

"I'm not asking you to." I shook my head, crossing my arms over my chest, "I would never make you do that. Do you really think I would be that cruel, after telling me that you loved me?"

"Love you." He corrected, my heart leaping into my throat, "Not loved. I love you and texting you everyday and watching you with him isn't going to help me get over you. Of course you could never be that cruel."

"Then why do I feel like you're trying to tell me goodbye right now?" I asked, blinking furiously to keep the tears out of my eyes, "Why do I feel like this last minute talk before I walk out of our house, is to tell me to stay away?"

"IT is." He nodded, my lip trembling, "I'm asking you to give me space till I'm strong enough to be there for you again. I am in no way, shape or form telling you goodbye. I just...I need..."

"What do you need?" I choked out, feeling the fear rise up in me like a tidal wave, "I'll do whatever you need me to, just please don't push me away."

The last few words came out halfway as a sob and I crushed my arms against my stomach, trying to hold myself together. I could see how much effort it was taking Jeff not to come over and comfort me, to just hug me till whatever was hurting me was shut out.

"Do you have any idea how hard it is for me to stand here and not come there?" he groaned, rubbing a hand over his face, eyes torn, "There are two sides right now Lila fighting in my head and I can barely handle this. One side is telling me to hold you and tell you everything is alright but the other side wants to kiss those tears right off your face. DO you understand how hard this is for me too, to not be your best friend?"

"I'm sorry." I shook my head, wiping the tears of my face, "I didn't want to lose you is all. If the timing was better..."

"Don't do that. I don't want false hope." He shook his head and I clamped my lips shut.