Chapter 102. Red Rock Canyon

I was about three quarters of the way up and starting to get more and more nervous, the angle of the rocks changing and getting steeper. My hands were getting sweaty and I wiped them against my shorts as best as I could, every muscle in my body protesting at the torture I was putting it through. As I followed the path Dean had laid out for me I realized that I had to jump over slightly at one point and that was it, I was done.

"Dean?" I called out, seeing him stop and look back from 5 feet away, the tone of my voice making him stop in his tracks.

"What's wrong?" he asked, anchoring himself in place and searching my face.

"I can't do this." I shook my head, fingers gripping the rock with all the strength I had, arms shaking, "I'm stuck here."

"You're not stuck, it's just a little jump." He murmured, moving back down slightly, on the other side of the jump.

"I can't jump across." I whispered, the fear rising up in me, "I can't do it, I'm gonna slip and fall."

"Lila, hey look at me." He called out, my eyes snapping up to him, his shades gone and those blue eyes focused in on me, "I'm on this side, if you slip I can catch you."

"You'll catch me?" I murmured, not able to move an inch.

"You might skin your knee a bit but I'm not gonna let you fall." He promised and I let out a few shaky breaths, "This is where you show me that you trust me okay?"

"I do trust you." I breathed slowly, inching forward a little at a time.

"It's easy to say those words but it's damn hard to prove them." Dean called, and I focused on moving slowly.

As I got to the ledge Dean was moving lower, putting himself in the position to catch me if needed. It was a small gap but if I slipped when I jumped or slipped on the other side it was a long rocky way down. I didn't dare look down, instead looking across at Dean who had planted himself firmly and arm held out.

"You wont let me fall." I mumbled, half to myself, half to him.

Taking a deep breath I moved side to side till I got to the momentum I wanted and leapt the distance across. The split second of being up in the air took my breath away but as I landed my foot scrambled for a spot to stand and my hands grasped at the rock. My one foot slipped and I jerked downwards but a warm hand had my arm in tight grip. Pulling me up I managed to pant myself securely, now that the fear was gone the adrenaline was racing through me and I grinned up at Dean.

"Okay that was possibly the most terrifying thing I've done in a long time." I admitted, most of the fear replaced by the endorphins racing through me.

"Yeah and you did it." Dean grinned, hand still holding onto me, "Are you ready to finish it?"

"Yeah." I nodded, enthusiastically readying myself for the last bit of the trek.

Moving together we began climbing but instead of Dean being ahead of me we climbed together, side by side for the last part. I was still tired, but there was a new sense of determination flowing through me and I pushed one, wanting to prove myself. I could feel a trickle of blood and sweat trailing down my leg where I had scrapped it but I pushed on. As we neared the top it leveled out and we could stand up, walking the last few feet up till we stood on top, looking out for miles over the barren desert. Putting my hands on my hips I stood there looking out, feeling sweaty, exhausted but exhilarated beyond belief. After all that the sight was worth it, the barbaric beauty a trophy in itself.