🥀 roses are red, violets are blue🥀 (hanahaki!au) Saguru Hakuba x reader

"Hanahaki: A disease in which the victim throws up flower petals when they suffer from one-sided love. It ends when the beloved returns their feelings (romantic love only; strong friendship is not enough), or when the victim dies."

⚠️ Warning: Mild swearing ⚠️

You stared at the rose petal that you had just thrown up, refusing to believe the truth.

In the span of ten minutes, your whole life had changed. You were sitting on the couch, snuggled up underneath a mountain of blankets and watching Netflix when you felt the warning signs appear. You started feeling queasy and your mouth had that strange, watery feeling at the back of your throat.

Uh oh, I'm about to throw up, you thought. Though, you weren't sure why. You didn't feel sick. But hey, you weren't about to question what your body needed to do.

You threw off the covers, tied your hair back into a ponytail, and sprinted over the bathroom, making it just in time as you leaned over the toilet and began barfing your guts out. The minute you started though, you began freaking out. Instead of the usual, disgusting, regurgitated food, it was flower petals. Roses, lilies, violets, sunflowers, chrysanthemums, and more. You didn't have the time to think about it though, as another round began.

The whole ordeal lasted about five minutes. Once you were done, you rinsed your mouth with a glass of water and scooped up some flower petals that had landed on the bathroom tile and carried them with you back to the couch.

It was time for you do to a little research and digging.

Flipping open your laptop, you googled "throwing up flower petals". The first thing that came up was a disease called "Hanahaki". Derived from the Japanese words "hana", meaning "flower", and "hakimasu", meaning "to throw up".

Well, the name makes sense at least, you thought. But this doesn't explain why I have it or how I get rid of it.

The next article that came up solved your first question. The disease struck when someone suffered from one-sided love. You leaned back a bit and thought about the guy you liked.

Saguru Hakuba. The perfect guy. Charming, handsome, highly intelligent, and a true gentleman. Adored by everyone around him. He even had his own little fan club at school. He had transferred to your school a few months ago and you quickly fell for him, though you didn't admit it or show it. During class, you would catch yourself daydreaming and staring at him as he concentrated on what was on the board and took notes. You didn't confess your love to him, as practically every girl in the grade had done because even thought you loved him, you knew it would never work. There was a disparaging difference between the two of you. Hell, he probably didn't even know you existed.

The most he thinks of me is a classmate, you thought to yourself, dejected, before mentally slapping yourself and getting back on track.

Right. Hanahaki disease. Forms when someone suffers from one-sided love. Check. Almost certainly applies to me. Now, how do I make this go away?

You scrolled through the rest of the article in an attempt to find the cure. Once you did, however, you wish you hadn't. Before listing the cure, it described where the disease would infect first. Roots would begin to grow in the patient's heart and lungs, causing the afflicted to vomit petals. Over the course of time, the vomiting would become more frequent, grow in pain and intensity, and would progress from petals to entire flowers.

You thought back to your episode of throwing up. It didn't hurt really, it just felt like throwing up normally. You didn't think you saw any blood. So you still had some time before the onslaught really set in.