☕️just another day☕️ edogawa conan x child!reader

A/N: Yes, I know technically Conan and Shinichi are the same people, but for the purposes of this story, they are separate people.

Requested by @min_yoongi_is_soft
I hope you enjoy this!

I need to learn how to write faster...

It should've been a normal, quiet day free from any murders. A normal, quiet day at the Mouri Detective Agency with Kogoro being a dumbass and grating on everyone's nerves.

Keyword: should've.

Obviously, that wasn't how fate wanted it, as Conan was currently standing in front of a coffee shop which had been the site of a murder scene in broad daylight.

"Ah, Mr. Mouri! You're here!"

Conan looked up to see a police officer shaking said man's hand.

"Follow us this way, please. The body's over here."

Conan, of course, followed behind, making sure to stay hidden out of sight until the last moment.

The body wasn't that bad. There was no blood, no weapon present, etc. His mouth was hanging open and his eyes were glassy, the only indicators that he was dead.

"What on earth happened here...?" muttered Kogoro, scratching his chin in perplexed confusion.

"The victim's name was (l/n) (d/n), 40 years old."

Wait... thought Conan. (L/n)... where have I heard that surname before...?

As if on cue, he heard quiet sniffling from the other side of the door. Conan got up from examining the body and made his way over.

Pushing the door open while on his tiptoes, he was greeted with an unexpected sight down the hall; a small, (h/c) child wearing a (f/c) dress and slumped against the wall, bawling furiously into the palms of her hands. Her mother was sitting next to her, equally distraught but trying to stay strong for the sake of her daughter.

Ah le? Isn't that... (y/n), the girl in my class?

You looked up at the sound of footsteps in front of you.

"Conan-kun!"

You flung yourself toward him, wrapping your arms around his waist. You were just thankful that there was a familiar face present.

"Conan-kun... what're you doing here?" you finally asked.

He stiffened. "I'm here with Mr. Mouri!"

Your eyes brightened. "You mean, the one and only 'Sleeping Kogoro'? The detective rumored who can solve any case that comes his way?"

Conan mentally facepalmed.

Yeah, only thanks to my help.

He forced a smile onto his face. "Yeah, that's right."

"And are you his assistant?"

Your eyes were so bright and hopeful, Conan couldn't bear to say no.

"That's correct!"

Your face brightened even more if that was possible, and you tackled him in a bear hug.

"Yay! Thank you, Conan! I know I can count on you!"

You were gently but firmly lifted away by the arms of your mother as an officer came over for questioning. The light in your eyes, just as quickly as it had flickered to life, faded, leaving an empty husk behind.

Conan watched you go, holding onto the hem of your mother's heavy skirts, before turning his attention back to the body, eyes scanning for the smallest of clues. For good measure, he pulled out his phone and took multiple pictures from various angles.