🚀there is one impostor among us (pt. 7- final)🚀

A/n: Listen to the song above as you read. It had end-of-the-world vibes that fit perfectly with this final installment.

The dead body clad in orange lay at Kaito's feet slumped over. He wiped the blood off of his cheek and slid the knife back into its hiding spot.

He had won.

Slumping against a table, he stared out the window. If he focused, he could still see you clad in your (f/c) spacesuit, drifting further and further away.

He didn't mean for it to end like this nor did he want it to.

Now what?

The pitter-patter of footsteps belonging to Conan pulled him out of his thoughts. Kaito glanced up to see the child standing in front of him, looking at him with innocent eyes.

"Uncle Kaito? Are you ok?"

Kaito forced a smile onto his face. "Yeah, I'm alright. How about you, kid? How are you feeling?"

Conan's bottom lip quivered and his chin crinkled. On the verge of crying, he held them back.

"I miss mama and papa..."

He sniffed and wiped his tears. Kaito felt a tug at his heartstrings and pulled him close into a comforting embrace.

"There, there. You'll see them soon, I guarantee it."

Kaito got up and handed him a box of orange juice, his favorite, and led him around the spaceship.

"Wanna try completing some tasks for me, kid?"

"Sure!"

He lifter Conan up so he could fix some wiring. He cheered and opened the lid, grabbing a wire deliberately and searching for the one in matching color before connecting the two. A hiss and crackle told him he was successful.

Conan laughed. "I did something!"

His enthusiasm rubbed off onto Kaito and he chuckled as well. "Why don't you finish the rest of it as well? Watch your fingers."

Crackle. Hiss. Crackle. Hiss. Slam. Conan finished his wiring and Kaito set him down.

"I wanna do more tasks! Can we?"

Kaito couldn't say no to that adorable face.

"Of course. Where to next?"

He led him around the spaceship, allowing Conan to complete tasks he wouldn't be able to normally, such as starting the reactor, cleaning the oxygen filter, and calibrating the distributor.

Conan was understandably tired by the time they got back to the cafeteria. Kaito gave him another orange juice carton to sip at and renew his energy.

"Mama was right! You are a good person! After all, you're taking good care of me!"

Those words made Kaito freeze.

A good... person? Me?

He smiled. He might as well end it now while he still had this moment of peace.

"Hey, Conan. Close your eyes. I've got a surprise for you that'll make you feel better."

"Ah, really?"

He nodded and slid the knife out secretly behind his back. Pulling Conan close, he made sure the child's eyes were securely closed before swiftly slid the knife in between his ribs and into his fluttering heart.

"You'll be able to see mama and papa soon, kid. I promise."

Glancing at Conan in the eye, the small child flashed him a pained grin before collapsing in his arms, dead. Kaito felt the beat of his heart slow until it finally stopped.