✨magic saguru 898✨ saguru hakuba x reader (au)

A/n: This is occupation and personality swap au. Kaito is now the snarky detective while Saguru is the flirtatious phantom thief.

Art credit goes to @itsashowtime on Tumblr.

"Oi, Kaito. You sure this is a good idea?"

You were standing in the gallery room of a museum with your detective friend Kaito. Tonight, the internationally famous Phantom Thief 898 was making an appearance. You had decided to accompany Kaito to the heist, wanting to see how it would turn out.

And of course, he had to drag you along with his plans.

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"This," you snapped, pointing to the pair of handcuffs clipped to your belt. "Why did you have to rope me into your plans?"

"The more, the merrier."

"I'm not even a member of the task force. How the hell am I supposed to arrest him? Even you've had trouble with him."

"It never hurts to try."

You rolled your eyes and turned away, wandering to a nearby window and peering outside.

That's a shitty excuse. And here I was, planning on enjoying myself.

Kaito was your best friend, yes, but his pretentious and arrogant attitude grated on your nerves at times. You guessed he couldn't really help it, however. For as long as you could remember, he'd been like that. A salty little detective sassing everyone around.

You sighed and turned back toward Kaito. It was eight-thirty pm and you were starting to become tired.

Heading back, you weren't paying attention to your surroundings and ended up walking into someone as a result.

"Ah- I'm sorry!" you stammered.

"No, it's alright," muttered the person before shuffling back and moving away into the crowd. You watched the person go. He had shaggy black hair, thick, black-rimmed glasses, and had a short and pudgy frame. He seemed to be a middle-aged man who had put on some weight.

Walking back to Kaito's side, you noticed your best friend staring at him.

"Who's he?"

"I don't know," you responded. "Just some random guy I bumped into."

"He looks suspicious. Could he be Phantom Thief 898?"

"He doesn't look like him to me," you commented. "Phantom Thief 898 has blond hair, maroon eyes, and a lean, tall physique. That guy's the complete opposite of him."

"But that's the point of disguise. In order for a disguise to be effective, it had to be the opposite of what the norm or expected is. If you're young, then make yourself look old. If you're thin, make yourself look fat, etc."

You pondered over his words.

"You have a point," you finally admitted. Kaito shot a shit-eating grin at you.

He pulled out his pocket watch and flipped open the lid, checking the time. His eyes widened once he realized he had mere seconds until the heist began.

"Crap! (Y/n), follow me!"

He grabbed your wrist and yanked you along as he sprinted toward the glass display case housing tonight's gem. You winced, wishing he hadn't done that. A few days ago, you had sprained your wrist after falling from your bike. Your hand had shot out to brace yourself, with your wrist taking the brunt of the impact.

Tonight's gem was the world's largest pink pearl called "Ophelia". Each time you heard the name, you couldn't help but think about the tragic heroine of Hamlet.