🎹 la pianista 🎹 kuroba kaito x reader

La pianista: Spanish, the pianist.

A/n: Based heavily on the Moonlight Sonata case.

"Hello?"

"Hello, is this Mr. Kuroba Kaito?"

It was 2 am. Kaito was in the middle of a dream when his phone rang. He was slightly annoyed about having it interrupted, but he picked up the phone anyway.

"Yes."

"Is your girlfriend Ms. (y/n)?"

"Yes... But what about her?"

The person on the other end took a deep breath. "Mr. Kuroba, you are one of the people listed in Ms. (y/n)'s emergency contacts. About three minutes ago, Ms. (y/n)'s house was set on fire."

Kaito dropped the phone.

In record speed, he got dressed and picked his phone up off the floor before piling into his car and flooring it.

In five minutes, he reached your house. He smelled the smoke and felt the heat before he even saw your house.

When he pulled up, the sight of your house stunned him into silence.

The had fire had just started, but it was already burning out of control. Your house was up in flames, angry shades off reds and oranges and yellows rapidly consuming everything in its way. The choking, thick black smoke polluted the sky and left a sour, bitter aftertaste in the back of Kaito's throat.

For some reason, he could also hear piano music. Specifically, Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. Currently, it was on the first movement.

Slamming the car door shut and sprinting up your driveway, Kaito jumped in through the front window, shielding his face from the splintering glass with his arms.

There, he found the source of the piano music he had heard earlier. It was from you. Amidst all the fire, you sat at your grand piano and played. Kaito watched as you closed your eyes and smiled in bliss, your left hand nailing the arpeggio and your right hand continuing it up the scale, then going back down. He had heard the piece countless times, but this had to be the most beautiful rendition of all.

Finished with the first movement, you slowly sat back up and opened your eyes.

"Hi, Kaito."

"Hi there, (y/n)."

He made his way over, avoiding a giant shard of glass lying on the floor. You scooted over to make room for him on the piano bench.

"Wanna play the second movement?" you asked.

Kaito nodded. You two began your little duet, with Kaito playing the left-hand part and you playing the right hand. The second movement was a cheery, upbeat little thing, contrasting quite starkly with the gloomy, minor first movement.

It only lasted for about two minutes. You leaned back and looked up at Kaito, pride in your eyes.

"That was the best duet I've ever done with someone."

Kaito kissed your forehead. "We make a good team."

You smiled up at him, blinking back tears. The fire came whooshing down the stairs.

"Hey... why are you doing this, (y/n)?"

You turned back to the piano keys and placed your hands on them, but didn't play anything. Reflected by the firelight, Kaito could see tears falling.

"There was a case back about five years ago before you started dating me. It involved the murder of two middle-aged men. They were burned to death inside a locked warehouse. Later, a note was found outside which read, 'this is your repentance for your sins.' Do you remember that?"

Kaito tipped his head back and pondered for a bit. "Oh yeah, now I remember. It was all over the news, so that's really the only reason why."

"Remember how after I got to know you, I told you about how my parents were murdered?"

"Yeah? That's one of the reasons why we were able to connect so well."

"What if I told you that those two men were the ones who killed my parents?"

Kaito blinked in shock. The look in your eyes told him that you weren't kidding. You sighed and turned back to the keys, starting the third movement now.

"The police did suspect me, but they cut me loose once they found out I had an alibi. That was a lie, though. I was at a party at the time. I'm pretty good at sneaking in and out of places without being noticed, so nobody noticed I was gone. When the police called someone in for questioning, they assumed I was still there and said I was at the party at the time of the crime."

You stopped talking for a moment as you nailed a particularly difficult passage for the left hand.

"I've been living with this guilt for the past five or so years. I can't take it anymore."

"(Y/n), please, you don't have to do this."

You shook your head and smiled sadly. "This is the only way I can live with myself. A lifetime sentence in jail won't ease this feeling of guilt. I'm sorry, Kaito, but there's no hope for me left. My hands are stained with the blood of two people I've murdered."

You got up and with a considerable amount of effort, picked Kaito up. He was shocked. He didn't know you could do that.

"Sorry about this, Kaito. I wish it didn't have to end this way. I wish we could've lived out our lives together and watch our children grow up. But more importantly," you stated as you walked over to the window, avoiding a trail of fire in front of you. "I wish you'd forgive me for doing this."

You stared him in the eye, tears rolling down your cheeks. "Please forgive me. I'm sorry and I love you."

With all your strength, you threw him out the window. When Kaito had jumped in, he had knocked the entire windowpane out, so he wouldn't be injured by that.

Kaito landed hard on his back and tumbled to a stop. Getting up and shaking out his limbs, he watched as the house began crumbling in on itself. He knew that by now, there was nothing he could do but accept and watch the inevitable.

From inside the house, you continued the rest of the third movement, a stormy, fast-paced piece. A plank of burning wood fell from the ceiling just a few inches away from your face.

Your hands glided up and down the eighty-eight black and white keys, playing every trill, arpeggio, and glissando with ease. Your entire being was focused solely on playing, putting 110% effort into every note, pedal lift, and accent.

From outside, the house was too dangerous to enter now. By now, the whole neighborhood had gathered outside to watch.

Finished with the song, you lifted your hands into the air dramatically before letting them come to rest by your sides slowly. Your performance had worn you out, both physically and mentally.

You blinked your eyes open and stared up at the burning ceiling. You weren't afraid to die. You knew it was what you deserved for killing those two men. History repeated itself. Much like how the note at the crime scene read "This is your repentance for your sins," this was your repentance for killing them. The only way to counter death was with death itself.

You let out your last sigh. As the ceiling crumbled around you, you whispered your last words.

"I'm sorry, Kaito. Please forgive me."

"I love you."

I hope that was at least somewhat sad.

Word count: 1246 words

Page count: 12 pages

Maybe a Saguru chapter up next.

Comment your thoughts and vote if you enjoyed!

-Transmitter