🍋lemon🍋 kuroba kaito x reader

"How good it would have been if this were all just a dream."

You groaned and rolled over, trying to block out the morning sunlight filtering in through the blinds.

"Even now, I still dream of you."

You drifted off into dreamland again. This time, your dream had Kaito in it.

"Like I'm going home to get something I've forgotten,"

Both of you walked side by side, appearing to be on a date of some sort. There was no sound in your dream, so it was like watching a silent film.

You were both crossing the street when Kaito mouthed something to you and smiled. You were no expert in lip-reading, but even you could tell what he said.

"Thank you and I'm sorry."

He stood rooted in place before pushing you out the way right as a car barreled into him.

"I dust off my old, worn memories."

Awake now, you shot up straight in bed, clutching your chest and gasping for air. Sweat streamed in buckets down your face.

It was just a dream (y/n). Just a dream, just a dream.

"The last thing you taught me,"

You took a look at your surroundings. You were in Kaito's bed, but he wasn't next to you. You were also wearing his clothes.

What...?

"Is that there are types of happiness that don't come back."

It hit you like a brick all in an instant. That wasn't a dream. It really did happen.

"The dark, hidden past I never spoke of."

Three days ago, you and Kaito were on a date when he was a victim of a hit-and-run. He pushed you out of the way just in time and he took the full brunt of the impact.

"Would be dark forever if it didn't have you."

He was rushed to the hospital immediately for his injuries. However, he died soon after with you at his bedside. In the few minutes before he passed away, he told you his will and his last wishes while wiping away your tears.

"I know there's no possible way,"

Your conscience, at least, was at ease. You knew he died a happy man in your embrace.

"I could ever be hurt any more than this."

You slowly pulled the covers off of you, rubbing your eyes swollen from crying. The police weren't able to catch the car behind the hit-and-run, so they were forced to give up. You saw the car though. A black Porsche. It was intentional. You knew who those guys were and how Kaito had been chasing them down his whole time as Phantom Thief 1412.

"Even the sadness of those days, even the pain of those days."

You got out of bed at a snail's pace and stood before the mirror, examining your reflection.