🏮rapunzel🏮heiji x reader

A/n: It's Disney time.

This will contain spoilers for the movie Tangled.

I won't be following the movie plotline verbatim though. It's also been a few years since I've seen the movie, so it won't be 100% accurate.

You stared out the window, imagining thousands of lanterns that would be littering the horizon in twenty-four hours. This was an occurrence each year. Each year, on the eve of your birthday, sky lanterns would always appear in the same spot on the horizon. This year, you were turning eighteen.

They were breathtaking, to say the least. You always enjoyed watching this spectacle. They washed out the stars and filled the sky with their brilliant golden glow.

A nagging thought tugged at the back of your mind, however. For the past seventeen years of your existence, you had frequently wondered about the origin of those lights. Tomorrow, you would be turning eighteen and be an adult. You thought that as an adult, you were now independent from Mother Gothel and had the right to explore the world outside the tower known as your home.

Knowing her, however, that probably wouldn't happen.

You sighed and turned away from the window, cursing when you tripped on your (h/c) hair for the umpteenth time. You picked up a hefty chunk of it and followed it with your eyes.

It was at least a good seventy feet long and covered the floor of your room. It was draped over piles of books, slung carelessly over covered canvasses, and shoved under your bed.

You sat down at your vanity and began your daily routine of brushing your hair. This took at least a good twenty minutes each night due to the sheer length of it.

You began pulling all your hair towards you when you fell a dull tug on your scalp. You glanced behind you. A chunk of it was wrapped around your dresser handle and now stuck.

Groaning, you sharply yank at it. After two yanks, it finally gave way. Pulling it towards you, you examined the damaged, broken ends and frowned. Not that it mattered. It would grow itself out within a matter of hours. Your hair grew by the day. It was somewhat concerning, but you had gotten used to it by now.

You had just finished brushing your hair when you heard someone approaching from outside.

"(Y/n), (y/n), let down your hair!"

You roll your eyes and walk over to the window, wrapping it around the hook and tossing it out. After you had just finished brushing, of course, Mother Gothel decided to show up. Now you'd have to redo it all over again.

You winced as you felt Mother Gothel climbing up your hair. Ouch.

A few seconds later, she showed up and nimbly landed on the floor.

"(Y/n)! How are you doing? How is your birthday going?"

You forced a smile. "I'm doing fine, mother. Did you get those paints that I wanted?"

"Ah ah ah, I can't tell you that. It's a surprise."

You pouted and pulled your hair back. Brushing a few stray strands out of your face, you glared at her.

"Hey, mother."

"What is it, darling?"

You gulped. "Well, I'm going to be an adult tomorrow, which means that I'm going to be responsible for my own life. For the past seventeen years, I've been seeing those lanterns every year on the eve of my birthday. I was wondering since I'd be turning eighteen tomorrow if I could leave the tower just for the day and find the source of those lanterns..."