🌤summertime sadness🌤 kudo shinichi x reader

A/n: Please listen to the song as you read. It adds the sense of nostalgia and bittersweetness that's the backbone of this story. On a side note, I dare say this remix is better than the original. Anyway, enjoy!

2nd a/n: You and Shinichi are both married in this and he's already established his career as an internationally-famous detective who's often called overseas to solve various cases.
There's also an extremely subtle reference to a case from another series. Like, blink and you'll miss it. If you get it, here's a cookie for you: 🍪

"This is as far as you can go, (y/n)."

You kept your eyes to the ground, refusing to answer him.

Kiss me hard before you go

Summertime sadness.

"Hey, don't look so sad."

I just wanted you to know

That, baby, you're the best.

You sniffed back your tears, trying not to ruin your makeup. Shinichi had been called to America to solve a string of serial killings happening around the LA area that had been going on for too long now and had stumped the minds of experts. You were at the airport now dropping him off.

I got my red dress on tonight

Dancing in the dark in the pale moonlight.

"I'll be alright, ok? You don't have to worry about me so much, (y/n). Please don't cry, it breaks my heart."

Done my hair up real big, beauty queen style

High heels off, I'm feeling alive.

You felt anything but alive at the moment. You didn't want him to go. Yes, you were used to this. Him departing to foreign countries for various cases. But your gut told you "no" for this one. That Shinichi shouldn't work on this case. That it was too dangerous. For a greedier reason, you also didn't want him to go since you hadn't seen him for ages. You just wanted some time with him to yourself without case after case getting in the way.

Oh, my God, I feel it in the air

Telephone wires above are sizzling like a snare.

Four ascending dings came on over the loudspeaker. "American Airlines flight 510 from Tokyo to Los Angles is now boarding. Passengers with the..."

You tuned it out and stared at Shinichi.

"Please don't go."

Honey, I'm on fire, I feel it everywhere

Nothing scares me anymore.

Shinichi sighed a bit before pulling out some tissues from his pocket and gently wiping your eyes with it. "That's my flight, (y/n). I have to go now. Don't worry, I'll be back before you know it."

I got that summertime, summertime sadness

S-s-summertime, summertime sadness.