Chapter 20

When we got to the mall, we instantly went to Forever21. When we got there, every girl went to a different section. I headed off to the accessories area. I was looking at some earrings, when I recieved a call. I looked at the Caller ID and it was an Unknown Number. 

"Hello?" I said placing the phone in my ear.

"Hello. Is this MacKenzie Tomlinson?" a voice said from the other end of the line.

"Um... Yes. Who is this?" 

"This is Officer Cavaret."

"Excuse me, but how did you get this number?"

"It's never hard to give this kind of news, so I'll just say it. You're cousin, Alice, died today. She has some things for you. Could you come over to the police station to get it?" he said. I felt tears fall from my eyes.

"Yes." I chocked out. 

"Thank you. See you soon." The man said. I quickly hung up.

"GUYS!" I called out. The girls stopped looking at the store and looked at me. When they saw that I was crying they came over.

"I need a ride to the police station." I said. They all nodded. We went to the car and left the mall.

--POLICE STATION-- 

When we got to the police station I asked El to text the boys to tell them where we were. I went to the reception desk.

"Excuse me. I'm looking for Officer Cavaret." I told the police officer. 

"Of Course. Are you MacKenzie Tomlinson?" The guy said.

"Yes." I told him. 

"Come with me." he said. The girls started to follow us. "Excuse me, but your friends will have to stay here." the officer said. The girls nodded.

I followed him, until we met Officer Cavaret. 

"Pleasure." he said shaking my hand.

"What happened to Alice?" I asked him.

"Well, I'll tell you later. It is to my understandment that you and your cousin were close." he said.

"We were best friends." I said looking at the floor. Alice and I were the kind of best friends who didn't have to be together 24/7. We trusted each other with our lifes. She was always there for me, and I was there for her.

"I'm so sorry for your loss. Would you mind going to my office?" he asked me. I shook my head and he led the way. 

His office was small with a wooden desk, a chair by one side with a computer. And the other side was for guests, which had two chairs. It also had wooden walls with some pictures. Officer Cavaret sat besides the computer and made a sign for me to sit in front of him. I did as told.

"Your cousin, Alice, died in a car crash." he said. 

"Um... What do you want from me?" I asked him.

"Well, Alice had something to give you. And when we checked her phone she was about to send you a text message." 

"Would you mind if I saw it?" I said. He nodded, and opened a draw in his desk. He took out an iPhone and a box which had a small envelope. Then he handed it over to me. I took her cell phone, and slided to open it. I felt tears fall from my eyes. I quickly put on her password. I looked at the text message.

        Hey Macy! It's been so long since we met. Happy B-day Girl! Meet me at 7pm at our spot in the mall. I'll be bringing some friends, k? Xoxo.