Heart to Heart to Spade -13-

Warning: Feelings.

Smack!

The woods became even quieter after you had slapped Ace across his stupid, handsome face. His head twisted to the side, mouth slightly agape with wide eyes. A small tint of red started to blossom over the cheek you had just struck.

Deuce and Grim jumped before stiffening and standing deadly still, hearts hammering against their chests.

Your (E/C) eyes were coated in a thick layer of tears, small droplets beginning to run down your cheeks. Your hand was still raised. "How... dare you." You whispered in a tone so low even Ace almost couldn't pick it up. "How dare you!" You shouted even louder making Ace flinch.

He tried to back up, but you gripped his collar and pulled him down to your level. "Is that what you think of me?! Huh? That I'm some... some... pick me girl! I never wanted to be here, okay! I don't even know how I got here a-and I'm scared, okay. I don't know if I'll ever get home because the Dark Mirror doesn't even know where it is. If Crowley kicks me out, I won't just be homeless, I'll lose my only chance to get back home. To see my family again! So how dare you even suggest that, you... you beast..." You whispered before sinking to your knees and covering your face with your hands.

Everyone stood frozen in their tracks as they stared at you. Slowly, Grim moved to where you were hunched over and stood up to gently put a paw on your head. You had no idea this would happen, but you felt like all the emotions you were holding in since coming here were being bursted open like a dam breaking.

You let out a wailing breath. Ace gulped and slowly crouched down in front of you. "Well... now I feel like an ass." He confessed softly as if he was talking to a wounded animal. You looked up, red faced with tears streaming down like a waterfall. "Y-You are an-n ass." You breathed out shakily.

Ace furrowed his eyebrows and fell onto his bottom before crossing his legs.

His heart ached. And not just the one on his eye. This wasn't be the same girl who crashed the entrance ceremony, criticized the great seven based on a moral compass, and then quickly volunteered to go on an adventure to find a stupid magestone all while taking care of a cat that has literally tried to burn you alive on several occasions. Yet still, in your darkest moment, you still managed to call him an ass. He smiled bitterly. Maybe it was you.

"Yeah, I know."

Blinking a few times, Deuce stiffly walked over and kneeled down next to you. His heart clenched the same way it had when he had saw his mother crying. You were kind, he could tell that much. Determined, and didn't take crap. He wished his mother was around so he could ask her what to do. He'd never comforted a girl before. Especially one his own age. He can barely even talk to them!

Grim continued to pet your hair. "It's okay, Y/N." He whispered softly in his raspy voice. Ace nodded. "Yeah... Yeah, you know what. It will be okay." He declared to you. "Because we're gonna get that magestone, one way or another." You looked up again, blinking away tears. "How...?" You whispered so gently, they could barely hear you.

Ace went to open his mouth only to quickly shut it again. "I... don't know. But we'll find a way. Right, guys?" Deuce and Grim nodded with smiles. "Yeah!" You swiped a hand over your eyes and let out a little laugh. "Thanks guys..." You mumbled softly. No one had ever... done this for you.

Grim looked over at the two boys as you shifted so you were now holding your knees to your chest. "Can't you guys just use magic?" He questioned as you started to steady your breathing. What a long night. And it wasn't even over.

Deuce shook his head, voice still fairly low in case you were still tender. "The headmage said it himself... magic has limits.
If you can't strongly visualize your magic, it isn't going to happen." He answered with a hand rubbing your back gently, hoping it would help. He used to do it to his mother whenever she felt stressed. Your face was still stoic, but you did appreciate it... and maybe liked it a bit.

He continued. "Using magic at a greater scale, or using different types of magic - those things require training." Ace nodded and put his hands behind him. "Yeah, that's why magic academies exist. It takes a lot of training before you can snap your fingers and turn your thoughts into magic. And the more flustered you are, the more likely you are to make mistakes."

You chuckled a bit, lightening the boys' spirits. "So that's why Grim can only summon fire." You teased while sniffling. The cat jumped up with a frown. "Hey! I'm gonna learn how to use WAY cooler magic than that, for the record! I'm just hittin' my stride here!" He yelled back.

Deuce took his hand back to steady himself on the ground. "Anyway, we need to find some way to defeat that creature and get the magestone." Ace sighed and rolled his head back. He was tired. You all were. "Yeaaaaah. Just like the time with the chandelier, right? You "found some way," and now here we are. We just fought that thing and it creamed us. So what exactly is your plan here, genius? Because I sure don't trust you to improvise!" He said to Deuce.

Deuce stood up, fists at his sides, quickly followed by Ace. "What?! You're the one who—" Grim sighed. "Aaand they're at it again." Wow, for once Grim was acting mature...ish. Suddenly a thought came to mind. Putting a hand on the ground, you slowly lifted yourself up and dusted off your pants. "We need to work together." You said sternly, face still raw with tear trails.

The boys jumped in surprise and shock. "Together? With him?" Ace shouted while pointing at Deuce who glared in response. You nodded solemnly. "Yes. All together." Ace scoffed. "No way—"

"You said we'll get that stone one way or another. This is our chance. We're running out of time. Okay, look, I know you have no reason to trust me, and an even better reason not to," you glanced at Grim, "but I need you guys to trust me. Or at least temporarily. Okay?"

The two boys eyed each other in disdain. They wanted to help you, they really did... just not together. You glanced at Grim again. Maybe they just needed a little more of a push.

You sighed loudly, catching the boys' attention. Remembering what Mrs. Mildred had taught you, you tilted you chin in just a bit, angled your gaze up, and furrowed your eyebrow before shaking your head and slightly throwing your arms out in defeat. "So this is it I guess. Let's all just get expelled, then."

The boys gasped. "B-But Y/N," Deuce shouted in shock, "You have no where to go!" Ace nodded in agreement before adding on. "Plus, I made I promise to you I intend to keep." You kept a smile from sneaking onto your face from their worry and sweet words. Never less, you kept the kicked puppy dog look on your face.

Grim looked up at you, just as shock. "Whoa, that was sudden. Where'd that come from?" He questioned. Time to put your plan into action. "Well... if you guys won't work together, then I don't know what to do." You mumbled sadly, blinking a bit faster.

Ace and Deuce's face paled. "But I feel bad for you guys, too. It's pretty lame to actually be accepted into an academy only to be kicked out the first day," you said with a cringe while sucking in a breath. Grim's eyes widened in realization, surprisingly catching on rather quickly.

He nodded vigorously. "Yeah, gettin' expelled on the first day... That is pretty lame too. Maybe even lamer than a magicaless human like Y/N." You sent him a quick glare for that unnecessary last part. Ace rubbed the back of his neck, looking away.
"W-Well..." Deuce stayed silent.

Bingo.

You sighed one last time to fully sell your point. "Totally uncool... Well! I guess that's it. Darn... I really thought my plan was a good one, too."

Ace groaned loudly. "Fine..." he grumbled. "Just this once though! Let's just get this over with, then. All right, Y/N, what's the plan?"

You grinned victoriously.

"Well..."