Winter Break -57-

The ground was soft, but not in a bed type of way. It was almost squishy. Shifting around, you felt a breeze pass over your body. Bringing your hands up, you rubbed your eyes, hoping it would help wake you up. Upon opening your eyes, you realized you were, yet again, not in your bedroom.

"Oh, c'mon!" You cried out before throwing yourself back into the ground. It's been two weeks, two weeks, since the whole ordeal with Octavinelle, and now you got to go through this again. Alright, whatever. Where were you anyways?

Opening your eyes again, you noticed how barren the land was. Completely contrasting the sea, you were now in the desert, surrounded by nothing but miles and miles of sand dunes. Slowly standing up, you looked around. It was night, the moon's light reflecting off the sand being your only way to see around you.

Not knowing what to do now, you started walking up the dune you were laid against. Upon getting to the top, you noticed the only thing asides from sand here. A man with both a parrot on his shoulder and a horse who was roughly a few yards away from you on lower ground.

His lips were curved into an annoyed frown, glancing around the desert. You quickly ducked down to avoid being seen. You suddenly heard muffled galloping a short distance away. Lifting up your head so you were just able to see over the top, you saw the tall man now accompanied by a shorter, fatter man.

"You...are late." The tall man with a twisted beard said slowly. The shorter one bowed. "A thousand apologies, oh patient one." He said. Tall man glanced over, eyebrow quirking up in question. "You have it, then?" They asked. Short guy laughed, reaching into his coat pocket with a smirk. "I had to slit a few throats to get it." He announced before pulling out half a... gold beetle medallion?

Tall man reached for it, but the shorter one quickly pulled it away from his grasp. "Ah, ah, ahhh! The treasure!" He said slowly. Suddenly, the parrot from the tall man's shoulder dived down and nipped at the short man's hand, successfully snatching the half beetle medallion.

"Ouch!" The short man squeaked as the parrot dropped the gold medallion into the tall man's hand. Sending a irked face at the short dude, the tall man examined the piece of gold. "Trust me, my pungent friend. You'll get what's coming to you." He said ominously. The parrot on his shoulder almost seemed to smirk. "What's coming to you! Awk!"

The man reached into his coat, pulling out what seemed to be the other half of the medallion before clipping the two together. To your surprise, the thing began to glow before coming to life. The small, glowing beetle zipped over dunes and across the desert.

You were only brought out of your shock when one of their horses made a startled sound. Your head whipped towards the tall man who was holding the reins of his horse tightly. "Quickly, follow the trail!" He demanded before speeding off after the beetle with the short man in tow.

Looking between the beetle and the men, you decided to go after them, still hiding behind your large dune. Several yards away from you, the beetle suddenly stopped at a large dune before splitting itself up. You and the two men stopped a good distance away.

Though you couldn't see the men's faces since you were currently staring at the beetles halves, you wouldn't blame them if they had a deadpanned face like your's on. That was amazingly anticlimactic. Dare you say disappointing.

The feelings didn't last long. Suddenly, the ground began to rise causing you to stumble onto your bottom in shock. Two glowing eyes appeared along with what looked like a tiger's face. Perhaps this should have affected you more, but being at NRC seemed to have desensitized you to most things. In fact, a... let's say "flying carpet" could come out of it's mouth and you wouldn't even bat an eye.