Planning a Route -99-

"Brrr... I'm about freezin' mah fingers off..." Epel said through shuttering teeth, gently blowing on his shivering hands. You glancing over at him in agreement and hugged your overcoat closer against your body. "It was alright this morning..." You grumbled in slight annoyance.

Rook tsked and shook his head. "Your hands and cheeks are cold as ice. I'll get a fire going." He said before pulling out his magic pen and sending a small blast of magic to his right on a piece of fallen wood, effectively lighting it on fire. You and Epel rushed over to it and crouched down beside it.

Sighing, you let the warmth of the fire unfreeze your stiffened fingers. Epel seemed to be just as glad with the newly made fire, almost sinking into himself in relief. After retreating something from within his suitcase, Rook walked back over to you guys and handed you something. "Good thing I brought a thermos of hot tea. Now go on, both of you, drink up. It should help you get warm." He advised kindly.

Epel gently took it from you, opening it and looking into it was a suspicious expression. "This isn't cursed, right? You're not going to put us to sleep and leave us here, are you?" The country boy interrogated with a glare. Rook quickly shook his head with a solemn look. "Hardly. Unless you're Vil, one cannot simply conjure up a curse without an incantation and special equipment." The Frenchman explained.

The lavender haired male sent the thermos one last look before unscrewing the cap and gulping down nearly half of it. After pulling it away, he sighed in bliss. "Ahh... That's better. I feel alive again..." He said to himself softly before handing the bottle to you.

You accepted happily and took a testing sip. The warmth of green tea ran down your throat causing you to beam in delight. Meanwhile, Epel's eyes widened as he stared at your form, suddenly realizing something monumental. His face flushed a deep red. "A-An indirect kiss?!" The lavender haired boy whispered to himself in disbelief.

Pulling the thermos away from your lips, you turned to him with a closed eyes smile. "I guess you're right, huh?" You beamed at him innocently. Epel let out a flustered noise of embarrassment.

While Epel was still trying to calm himself down, Rook walked over and sat across from you guys. "I admit I'm rather shocked. I did not expect you two to come after me." He confessed with a sigh. You sweat dropped and sheepishly looked away. Epel grimaced and shrugged. "Yeah, I know. We might only slow you down. I won't ask you to take us along. But I'm going to follow you either way." The lavendered haired boy said firmly.

Nodding determinedly, you looked at the blonde with a fire in your eyes. "Those people hurt our housewarden, our friends, and worst of all, kidnapped my cat. I'm not gonna just take that laying down!" You shouted with clenched fists.

The Frenchman looked between the two of you for a second before his face fell to the ground and into a scowl. You and Epel glanced at each other nervously. Eventually, the big blue eyed boy spoke up. "Why are you scowling? You left without permission too, you know! I don't see how you're any better than us! You can scold me all you want, but we're not going back!" Epel exclaimed at the blonde's silence.

Rook sighed and simply shook his head. "Non, you have it wrong. I'm not angry with the two of you." He confessed solemnly. You furrowed your eyebrows in confusion. "Pardon?" Rook continued. "I'm angry with myself for failing to give your tenacious spirits due credit." He explained with a serious face.

"I said at SDC that people are powerful when they truly believe in themselves and each other. And yet I set off alone without nary a word, leaving you both behind. Y/N, Epel, you always stay true to your heart, and that makes you both strong and beautiful. I'm ashamed to have lied to myself for such specious reasons." Rook drew on dramatically in shame.