Hearts and Tarts -16-

"Huh?"

It was warm and the grass beneath your feet was an unusually lush green. You looked up only to see an unfamiliar environment. Large rose bushes spread around you no matter where you looked. "Where am I?" You questioned, stiffly shifting your feet together, hands fiddling with each other.

Suddenly you heard leaves shifting against each other, rushed and panicked voices ringing in your ears. Curious, you began to walk towards the noise. It seemed to originate from a rose bush. It was shaking back and forth wildly. You slowly and cautiously rounded the bush to see... cards?

Surprisingly that's not the weirdest thing you've seen so far. One was the ace of hearts and the other was the two of spades, both quickly drenching white roses with red paint. You put your hands behind your back and slowly walked up to them.

"Excuse me," they quickly turned around, "why are you painting the roses red?" You questioned gently. The cards nervously looked around. "Because we planted the wrong roses!" The ace of hearts shouted in fear. The two of spades nodded in agreement. "The queen will have our heads!"

Will have their heads...?

You opened your mouth to question them once more only to start seeing black spots fill your vision. Starting to feel your legs buckle, you reached your hand out to grab hold of something to try and steady yourself. Leaves brushed against your fingertips, then your wrists, and finally to the midway of your lower arm.

The leaves and thorns poking your skin felt anything but pleasant, but then you felt something else. Something so soft and smooth. You grabbed onto it, hoping it would help you keep your balance. Instead you accidentally yanked it out and you fell.

You collapsed on the ground, head tilted to the side. The strange object that you had tugged out of the white rose bush was now in your hand. Strangely, the most beautiful red rose laid in your weak grasp, arm littered in small scratches from the bush.

You're mother always loved roses.
Especially the red ones.
They symbolized passionate love after all.

Seconds later, you awoke to the near pitch black of your room. Gently moving your head as small paws pushed against your back. "Y/N? Y/N?!" A familiar voice rang out. You shifted so you could look at him. Grim's bright blue eyes staring down at you. "Huh? What is it, Grim?" You questioned as you took in your surroundings.

Looking down, you realized you were in a black and white pair of pajamas you had found in the closet. They were slightly large on your smaller frame as the pajamas were obviously made for a male. Despite being abounded, Ramshackle had plenty of things still in it. Oh yeah, that was the name you and Grim had decided on while walking back from Crowley's office.

Then you had taken an ice cold bath (Crowley still hadn't turned on the heating) and then immediately went to sleep, moments after your head hitting the pillow. Then you had that weird dream of... roses... and cards?

"Myaaah... You're finally awake... I know it's the middle of the night, but I think we've got a visitor. Maybe it's those pesky ghosts again? They just don't know when to quit. Wait a second, where'd you get that from?" He questioned looking over your side.

You sat up and looked down at your hand in shock. The red rose! It was still intact in your hand. Even the small scratches around your hand. Had the dream been... real? No, it couldn't have. Surely not.

"Huh?!" You jumped and looked back at Grim before realizing he was expecting an answer. Quickly, you gently set the red rose on your bedside table and stood up. "Nothing. Don't worry. N-Now let's go see who's at the door." You said skillfully dodging his question. He stared from the bed for a second as you walked towards the door before jumping up and following behind you, taking one last glance at the rose.