Housewarden Meeting -31-

You sat on Crowley's couch, legs crossed and notepad in your lap as you watched the two ghosts retreat in a wall. Grim groaned and fell to the floor. "Hey, Headmage, what's the deal? What does fightin' ghosts got to do with blot?" He asked while rolling onto his back.

Crowley smiled, pointing a finger to Grim's lavender gemmed collar. "Direct your attention to the magestone on your collar, Mr. Grim." He said. Grim grabbed his stone before his eyes widened in shock. "Myah?! My magestone looks all grungy now. ...MYAH?! It won't rub off!" He yelled while rubbing his paw over it.

You stood up, walking over to Grim before kneeling down to look at his magestone. Though it wasn't particularly noticeable, black spots could still be spotted around the edge. You rubbed a finger over it. "He's right. It won't wipe off." You said before picking Grim off his back and holding him.

The man nodded. "Precisely. That inky black stain is the byproduct of spellcasting known as blot." He explained. Deuce gasped. "There's some grime on my magical pen, too!" He exclaimed. Grim shook his head. "Ewww! This is capital-G Gross!" He yelled while wiggling in your arms.

You looked up to Crowley. "Is there some way to get rid of it?" You asked. Crowley nodded with a smile. "Yes, of course." He responded. Grim tilted his head. "Like some kinda special soap or somethin'?"

"With sufficient rest, blot will vanish from your magestone. This is why a magestone is so valuable to magic users. Not only does it aid your casting, it also serves as a lightning rod of sorts, to prevent blot from accumulating within the caster." Crowley said.

Deuce put a hand underneath his chin. "I see. So when our magestones start to get cloudy, that means it's time for us to ease off." He said. Crowley nodded, sitting himself behind his desk. "Correct. Eat well and get plenty of sleep, and most of the blot will clear away."

Grim clicked his tongue. "Gotcha. So when I become an even greater mage, I'll be able to fire off spells left and right! Pa-PEW!
After all, I do plenty of sleepin' and eatin'." Like he doesn't do that enough already.

Crowley smiled. "People vary greatly in their capacity for magic. However, save for a few key exceptions, there is little variance in most mages' tolerance for blot." Grim's eyebrows furrowed. "What's that mean?" He asked. "In essence, it means that those who possess a great capacity for magic must be meticulous in their efforts to avoid accumulating blot. Like Mr. Rosehearts, for instance." He explained.

Ace nodded. "So folks who know their way around magic gotta lay off once in a while. Seems simple enough." He shrugged. "Correct. That said, it isn't anything that mages at YOUR level need to worry about. How very fortunate for you!" Crowley said cheerfully.

You pursed your lips as Ace blinked. "I...guess that's only kind of an insult?" He questioned. Grim smiled, crossing his arms over his chest. "Anyway, I think I get it. Use magic, get blot. Blot bad. Sleep and food good. But is that really all it took to make Riddle activate berserker mode?"

Crowley shook his head. "The accumulation of blot is significantly affected by the sorcerer's mental state. Anger, fear, panic, sorrow... Harboring those sorts of negative energies hastens the accumulation of blot by a significant degree. This, in turn, leads to the dreadful state known as overblot." He looked at you. "However, I do believe that Y/N had a direct link into ceasing Mr. Rosehearts overblot." The bird said.

Deuce furrowed his eyes in thought. "Well, now that I think about it, Riddle did go back to normal after Y/N had jumped into that ink thing." He commented. Crowley nodded. "Indeed. Do you recall the giant shadow that appeared behind
Mr. Rosehearts? Such manifestations are believed to be the result of a fusion between blot and negative energies. I'm afraid that's the extent of what current studies have revealed to us, however. There remain many mysteries surrounding overblot. After all, there are not many opportunities for study and observation." He explained.