Chapter 51

Chapter 51

Two days became three days and three days became five days and five days became one week. Despite the fact that time flew, I was still in the same condition of missing Adam. He has been gone for too long for me to handle.

I sat down staring outside from my room window on a sunny Sunday afternoon. Everyone seemed happy around my neighborhood. Kids were playing and riding on their bikes on the road. The opposite house was having a nice barbecue in front of their house while the owner of the house beside theirs was playing frisbee with his dog.

I watch them silently. I wish I was as happy as these people.

Suddenly my phone started ringing on the table beside me.

I looked at the caller ID and saw Grace's number. I was not in the mood to talk to anybody. Grace should just screw it and hang up.

The phone stopped ringing. I sighed and turned my attention back to my happy neighborhood.

The phone rang again.

What does she want?

I declined it.

This time she will understand that I don't want to talk to anyone.

I looked back at the window and my phone rang for the third time. I groaned and picked up the phone.

"Grace I'm sorry but I can't tal-"

"Naomi you've got an emergency." She cut me immediately.

I furrowed my eyebrows the moment she said that.

"What emergency? I don't get what you're talking about Grace."

She paused and continued. "I am with Kaleb at the moment."

I rolled my eyes. You're always with him everyday.

"And he said something about an emergency."

"What emergency exactly?" I asked.

"I don't know. Just an emergency you should know about." She sounded confused.

"Can you explain this emergency Grace?" I groaned. "You're not speaking up."

"Do you know what? Just talk to Kaleb." She groaned too and left the phone hanging.

There was a little pause over the phone before Kaleb took over.

"Hey Naomi. Sorry about Grace's 'confused' mind." He said. "Are you busy at the moment?"

"Not really... Why?"

"Grace and I would like to meet you. Mind if we could meet you somewhere private?" He asked straightaway without considering what exactly was going on.

"For what? What's going on?"

"It's a message from Adam."

My heart stopped the moment I heard his name.

"Is something wrong with him?" I furrowed my eyebrows and stood up from my seat.

"This is not something I wish to discuss over the phone." He said in a faint tone. "Is there somewhere private we could meet up rather than your house?"

I paused to think. Then it hit me.

Lake Carnegie.

*******

It took me 35 minutes to drive all the way to the lake Carnegie park. That was the park Adam and I ran into when we were being chased by two men from the club two months ago. It was such a terrific memory.

Throughout my car ride, I thought about Adam and the message. What message could this possibly be? Why was it so urgent and important that it could not be discussed over the phone on?

To be honest, I was really scared. Kaleb didn't even sound too friendly on the phone about it. My biggest prayer is that I hope it is not a negative message.

I parked at the backside of the park where a few people came to. It was around the wild waterfall and it was full of grasses and trees and only a few people knew well about this place and they always came for private meetings.

The place was empty as I came down from my car and walked into the grassy hill top area that was close to the water fall. I was all alone in these beautiful yet creepy place.

It was really quiet and a bit scary at the moment.  The only noise were the birds and tree movement.

'I'm here. Where are you?' I sent a message to Grace the moment I found a big stone to sit on.

I sat down quietly in my lonely state as I waited for Grace and Kaleb to show up. I watched the waterfall from afar and it was such an interesting yet boring sight to see.

Five minutes passed and Grace and Kaleb hadn't showed up, neither has she replied my message.

I dialled her number and it went straight to voicemail.

Come on Grace. Don't do this to me.

I waited a little more as I watched the waterfall and no call or message was sent from Grace yet.

Were Grace and Kaleb trying to play pranks on me? Were they really trying to make my life more miserable than it is? Was this really their opportunity to make fun of me by using Adam's name?

Thinking of all these was making me sick already. If they don't show up in the next two minutes, I'm leaving and sure as hell, I will never talk to Grace anymore.

Two minutes passed and I dialled her number all over again but it still went straight to voicemail.

I give up.

Grace if this is your shot in making fun of me, then you have it.

I stood up in frustration and made my way to leave when suddenly I heard someone call my name.

"Naomi." A deep voice called out behind me.

I stopped myself from taking another step and turned around.

From this moment on, I knew nothing was going to be the same again.

_________________
END OF CHAPTER 51