Chapter 65

Chapter 65

"Please let go of me!" I yelped as we were both lying flat on the ground and his hands were not letting go of me.

"Naomi don't do this I'm begging you." Adam said.

"I want to die!" I sobbed. "Just let me die!"

"I won't let you. Not for a single second."

I couldn't control myself anymore. I burst out crying this time. I was breaking down and couldn't control it. I looked down and didn't bother looking at his face because I knew how terrible I looked.

"It's okay. Come here." He sat up and brought me close to his chest while I wrapped my face on his chest and sobbed on it.

How I wish it just wasn't Adam.

"You can cry for as long you want. I will still be here." He said as he wrapped his hands around me.

This was Adam I was pouring out my tears to. The guy who walked out of my life few weeks back. He is the one comforting me now.

For all I know, I don't care anymore. All I needed was the comfort.

"Why are you here?" I asked through his shirt.

"That's not the problem."

"Why!" I squealed for him to give me a direct answer which caused him to jump in surprise.

"I come here everyday." He replied calmly. "I come here to remember everything about us. If I can't see you anymore, at least this place makes me feel you."

I shut my eyes in frustration.

"Adam you don't have to sweet talk me. I know what you're fond of-"

"I'm not lying Naomi. You may not believe anything I say anymore but I've already lied to you enough and I'm not going to lie to you again." He said in a faint tone, "I am exhausted too. Hate me all you want. You have every right to kill me now too. Do all the things you've been dying to do to me since that wedding day. But all I need is for you to please forgive me."

I drifted away from Adam when he said those words. I stared at him with a scowled expression this time.

I didn't think twice of what I did next. I slapped him right across his left cheek.

Just like that. With no pain, no guilt and no surprise.

He sighed and looked at me. Then he turned his other cheek to face me.

"You can slap the other one-"

I slapped it as well.

Why was I being so violent today? I punched Jenna earlier and I just slapped Adam. Twice.

He adjusted his jaw and chuckled in surprise.

"Am I forgiven?" He asked in his surprised state.

I don't respond. I stood up from the ground and started walking away from the spot without looking at him.

"Naomi-"

"Take me home." I cut him without looking at him. "I don't have a ride back."

I continue walking down the hill without bothering to hear his response. I could guess he was just worked up by my attitude after he saved my life and the fact that I was not showing any sign of appreciation.

*****

The car has been silent since we left Lake Carnegie and I was not ready for any conversation either.