Chapter 53

Chapter 53

"I've got to ask you one question." He said.

I stared at him bewildered. Is this some kind of proposal? We were only 16 and he's already on his knees to ask me to marry him? What was he thinking?!

"Naomi Rose Brown." He started. "Will you-"

God please tell me this is not happening.

"Stay by my side if I make these promises to you?"

I looked at him dead shocked. Wait he wasn't asking me to marry him?

"Promises?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

He nodded.

"I thought you were proposing?"

"What?" He chuckled. "No that's too soon."

He opened the black suede box and revealed the priceless diamond heart ring inside. I couldn't help my feelings anymore. It was BEAUTIFUL.

"This is a promise ring Naomi."

"It's beautiful." I looked at them in amazement.

"Just like you." He smirked.

"Thank you sappy dude." I elbowed him playfully while he laughed at my response.

"What do you say?" He stared at me in concern. "Will you stay by my side if I make the promises I am about to make?"

"I think you should go on with the promises first." I said.

He nodded before he took my left hand in his right hand. I stared at him and waited for what he had to say. He sighed before he spoke up.

"Naomi Rose Brown. Just as beautiful as every rose I've set my eyes on." He looked at me. This caused my cheeks to burn. "The most natural and selfless girl I've ever met. You're no ordinary person like me. Someday I want to be like you... So unique, confident and just simply amazing."

My chest were burning this time. I couldn't help but smile. Adam please don't make me melt.

"Some days you may wonder, 'what does Adam see in a two skin girl like me?' And I tell you Naomi, 'I see everything'." He smiled as he looked at me. I think I was going to cry now. "I love you just the way you are and you're a masterpiece created by God. In a room full of arts, I'd still stare at you because you're my favourite of them all."

I think I was crying now. I couldn't even touch feel my face anymore. Why was he so sweet?

He released his hands from mine and took the diamond ring out of the box. He dropped the box and held my left hand in his right hands and held the ring on his left hand as he positioned it right in front of my ring finger.

"As your first love," He continued. "It is my duty to always teach you what real love is really like in this silly world we live in. And I wish as time flies, that I could be your one and only love for the rest of your life."

He held the ring up and looked back at me.

"This ring, comes with a pledge that I will be faithful to you. No rivals, no mistakes." He added. "With this ring, I tell you, No matter how difficult things may be between us in future, I will never stop loving you. Because you're all I want."

I could feel the tears flowing down from my cheeks. I didn't plan to get this emotional.

"And when you look at this ring, I hope it reminds you of my promise to never stop loving you. And I love you very much Naomi."

"I love you too Adam." I sobbed.

"Will you promise to stay by my side?"

"I promise." I smiled.

He grinned before he put the ring on my finger and hugged me. I hugged him back tighter and couldn't stop myself from sobbing on his shoulders. I was being a bit too emotional but who could have thought I will be with a guy like Adam? So sweet and tender.

I never knew today was going to turn out to be like this, neither did I ever know I was going to feel like this in my life.

For the first time in my life, I felt really important to someone and all I see now is a new chapter of my life, opened right in front of me.

******

The first 10 minutes of the car ride back home was silent. Adam didn't have a ride back home because Kaleb had abandoned him in the park after taking his car. He offered to drive me home with my car and take a cab from there.

After the promise, we talked a little before the sun began to set and it was time for us to go home.

It was still sunset time and I stared out the window of the passenger sit to look at the beautiful view of the environment caused by the colour of the sunset.

Adam who was sitting beside me was focused on the road as he drove. The only thing that distracted the awkward silence between us was the music playing on the radio.

I enjoyed the breeze blowing in my face as my window was down. I really wish I had something to say to Adam right now but I was still speechless after the whole promise ring thing. Adam on the other hand seemed to have poured out all his emotions too and is probably trying to cool his mind.

I turned to Adam whose attention was on the road. He turned to me the moment he noticed I was looking at him and grinned.

"You alright?" He asked.

I nodded my head and turned back to the window outside.

Suddenly, If I Lose Myself by One Republic came on the radio. This was my song. I immediately increased the volume to let the music flow round the car.

I stared up at the sun...

"You like this song?" Adam asked as he turned to me.

"I love it." I grinned.

"It's a nice song."

"Mhmm." I replied and looked out the window to enjoy the music.

Thought of all of the people, places and things I've loved.

Gradually, I felt Adam's hand sliding into mine that was rested on my lap.

I stared up just to see

I opened my palm and he entwined our hands together.

With all of the faces, you were the one next to me.

I turned to look at him and smiled. He looked at me and smiled back before he turned his attention to the road immediately. He was probably shy.

I turned my attention to our entwined hands and I just felt the world on my hand. Although this wasn't the first time we held hands, it still felt like it was the first time. So simple and sensational.

He raised my hand that he was holding and kissed it gently before dropping it back. I chuckled in response and rubbed my thumbs on his hands that were entwined with mine.

If I lose myself tonight,
It'll be by your side.

I looked out the window while Adam turned his attention back to the road.

(oh) yeah, yeah, yeah.

My eyes gazed at our entwined hands once more and I caught a glimpse of the diamond ring on my finger. It caused me to grin all over again.

If I lose myself tonight,
It'll be you and I.

If this was what love really felt like, then I have no reason to be broken ever again.

_________________
END OF CHAPTER 53