River Acheron

Percy

After the running I felt like I was dying. I hate running. So I was glad when Annabeth suggested a break before we cross the river. I just fell right down onto the ground and laid there in silence, that's when I started hearing the voices.

It wasn't me, a voice said.

Stop the pain, another voice said. Help.

"Not again," I said.

"The River Acheron," Annabeth said.

Come in and help us, a voice said.

You deserve this punishment, too, said another.

Images were now coming through my brain of monsters that I had killed, Bianca who went into the robot instead of me, Zoë who fought Atlas, trying to protect us, all the people who died in the battle of the labyrinth because I failed on the quest, Beckendorf who died because I failed on a mission, Silena who died because she was fighting a drakon by herself, and I could have helped, Luke who I let kill himself, and Grover, I should have been conscious so I could stop them from killing him.

I opened my eyes and blinked some tears away, I had to deal with these thoughts everyday, I could handle them at the moment. The river seemed a bit quieter now.

"So you guys have been here before," Artemis said to us.

"Yeah," Annabeth said as she rubbed some tears away.

"How did you get over it?" Artemis asked and looked back and forth between us.

"Yeah, How did we get over it? Annabeth asked. "Percy jumped, like really high and far, I have no idea how he did it."

"Oh, I used the power the river gave me to spring us across," Percy said.

"So we could just do that again," Annabeth said.

"Yeah," I said. "But I can only carry one person at a time, so who wants to go first?"

"Annabeth can go first," Artemis said.

I got up and so did Annabeth, we walked over to the river and Annabeth wrapped her arm around me, I tried not to blush. The river was wailing again as new spirits came by.

The pain, they would say.

I didn't mean it, another one would say.

All the whining made it very hard to concentrate. I just tried to think about the water, the water the was raging by. I sucked all the power out of it and suddenly I felt refreshed and powerful. I pushed off with my legs and we went soaring over the river. We both landed on our feet and we were both okay.

I did the same thing to get back over the river, this time I didn't land as far away from the river and I realized Artemis and I might not make it over the river because I was draining my power.

"Are you ready?" Artemis asked.

A little rest wouldn't really help with the draining power problem so I nodded. Artemis grabbed hold of me and I again, I tried not to blush.

I felt the power of the river under me and I breathed in and pushed off the shore. We flew, but not as high or far. I closed my eyes waiting for us to land, and then I fell onto my face and felt ground, not water.

I opened my eyes and stood up I looked over at Artemis and Annabeth, they were trying to hold in their laughter. I was about to say something, when I saw the arrow coming straight for Annabeth's heart. I ran over to Annabeth and pushed her out of the way. She gasped a bit. I positioned myself and closed my eyes. I felt the arrow hit my shoulder and my whole right side exploded in pain and that's the last thing I saw.