Another Task

I found a really funny book called the worst fanfictions on Wattpad, if you haven't read it you should, it is a Percy Jackson fanfiction and it is hilarious.

Annabeth

I stared at the sphinx, my eyes were probably as wide as saucers.

"You," I said and tried to back away, but she grabbed my arm with speed that was not even possible.

"Try to escape or yell to your friends and he gets it," the sphinx said and pointed to Percy. "As you can see I am very fast."

"What do you want?" My voice cracked when I asked that.

"Well," she said and circled around me. "I just want to have a friendly competition, or you and your friends die."

"Fine," I said and kept my head up. "What's the question?"

"You have been given the task of transporting 3,000 apples 1,000 miles from Appleland to Bananaville. Your truck can carry 1,000 apples at a time. Every time you travel a mile towards Bananaville you must pay a tax of 1 apple but you pay nothing when going in the other direction (towards Appleland). What is highest number of apples you can get to Bananaville?" The sphinx asked.

I did the math in my head, but I still wasn't sure of the answer, but she had never said anything bad would happen if I got it wrong.

"833 apples, First you want to make 3 trips of 1,000 apples 333 miles. You will be left with 2,001 apples and 667 miles to go. Next you want to take 2 trips of 1,000 apples 500 miles. You will be left with 1,000 apples and 167 miles to go (you have to leave an apple behind). Finally, you travel the last 167 miles with one load of 1,000 apples and are left with 833 apples in Bananaville." I said, hopefully.

"Correct," she said as she continued to circle me. "You are doing well."

"I try," I said, trying not to freak out, my friends were counting on me.

"So, there is a guy and he is getting ready to go to bed, he eats dinner, takes a shower, brushes his teeth, changes into pajamas, turns off the light, and goes to bed." She said. "The next day there was a horrible accident and a lot of people died, how did it happen?"

I remembered that someone had told me this exact riddle a while ago, I just needed to remember it. C'mon, I thought, something he did caused the accident. Eating dinner, no. Taking a shower, no. Brushes his teeth, no. Changes into Pajamas, no. Turns off the light, I suddenly remembered it. It had something to do with the light. How could turning off the light cause and accident. I tried to picture it in my mind and it started to make sense.

"He lived in a light house," I said, smiling. "When he turned off the light the boats couldn't see where the shore was so they crashed and that was the accident."

"Good job," the sphinx glared at me, probably not expecting this much progress. "What are you? A daughter of Athena?"

I nodded, "yes."

"Of course," she said. "Just my luck."

She circled around me more, thinking about what the next question was. I desperately thought of someway to get us out of here. The easiest way was to finish this little quiz, but that could take forever and I'm not sure if I could answer every question right.

I reached for my knife, but it wasn't there. I scanned the area and saw a flash, the fire reflecting off of something. I squinted and just made out the dagger. It was a few feet away from me and as the sphinx circled me, she blocked the path.

"I talk, but I do not speak my mind, I hear words, but I do not listen to thoughts, When I wake, all see me, When I sleep, all hear me, Many heads are on my shoulders, Many hands are at my feet, The strongest steel cannot break my visage, But the softest whisper can destroy me, The quietest whimper can be heard," the sphinx said, a smile on her face.

I ran through the possibilities in my mind, it couldn't be very hard. It must have an easy solution, I just needed to think it through. It must be obvious, but it is trying to make you think about it in the wrong way.

"Could you repeat that," I squeaked.

"Of course daughter of Athena," she said, the smile still intact. "I talk, but I do not speak my mind, I hear words, but I do not listen to thoughts, When I wake, all see me, When I sleep, all hear me, Many heads are on my shoulders, Many hands are at my feet, The strongest steel cannot break my visage, But the softest whisper can destroy me, The quietest whimper can be heard."

I closed my eyes and tried to concentrate, but with my friends lives in danger it was hard to focus. I need to do this, it kind of sounded familiar, like the last one. Where had I heard them from, my siblings, my friends from the Argo II, no, my Family. Yes, my dad.

He used to tell me riddles every night before I went to bed, I had gotten al of them, but one of them had stumped me. This exact one, what was the answer? He wouldn't have told me. I remembered what he had said.

"Your mother told me this riddle when we met, I didn't get it either, but I figured it put and I know you are smart enough to figure it out too, but when you do, I would like to here the answer."

I never looked it up or asked anybody else, because that was cheating, but boy did I wish I had done that now. I closed my eyes and sighed.

"I'm waiting," she said, gleefully. "Answer quickly, or your friends die."

I didn't know the answer. I couldn't answer the question. My friends were going to die, (accept for Artemis, since she can't die, and was she really my friend, she stole Percy from me) I was the going to be the cause for that, and Leo would think it was his fault and he would be depressed, and nobody likes a depressed Leo.

I took a deep breath and let it out, "I don't know."

"What was that?" She asked, a smile spreading across her face.

"I don't know," I said louder, trying not to show my fear, but that didn't seem to be working, I was in Tartarus for gods sake.

"Well be prepared for your doom," the sphinx said and pounced, her back legs pushing her at me with a strong force.

I dodged, and ran to my dagger. I picked it up and raised it to protect me. The sphinx got up, recovering from her stumble incredibly fast.

"You will die!" She yelled and ran at me again.

I waited for her to get close and then when she was like right on me, I rolled to the side and stabbed her in the foot, but her other paw scraped my leg. I yelled in pain and barley was able to stand up, it seemed to be the same with the sphinx.

She growled at me when she was able to stay up. I glared at her, just hoping she would be reduced to powder from the stare.

She pawed the ground like a bull, and started to run towards me. Not as fast as before, but still very fast. I couldn't move out of the way fast enough because of my injury. So, she jumped onto me. My head slammed into the ground. I yelped in pain for the new injury and the old one.

My knife had fell out of my hand and anyway I wouldn't have been able to use it, the sphinx was holding me down, and the pain was almost enough to make me black out.

"Death isn't that bad," she said as she opened her mouth to show fangs and brought them down onto me.

If you want to know how the answers are the answers, I don't know, I just got them off a website.