𝟏𝟎: 𝐀 𝐁𝐫𝐨𝐤𝐞𝐧 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭

MAY 2009

MAY 2009

As the moonlight shined through the thin curtains. A sleeping Valentina laid on her bed as the night breeze blew in through the cracked window. At exactly 4:07 am while the moon was still at it's peak a cellphone started ringing on the woman's night stand.

Valentina woke up and with a foggy vision reached for the cellphone that rung on the nightstand. She saw the caller ID and rolled her eyes before propping herself up on her elbows.

"It's 4 in the morning Brian." Valentina said in a sleepy voice as she kept her eyes closed.

"Yeah, I know V. But could you step outside for a second." Brian said as he stood outside of her home.

"Brian are you drunk. It's 4am I have work in the morning." Valentina said before sitting up all the way in bed.

"Just step outside, please." Brian said getting Valentina to sigh.

She hung up the call before making her way out of bed. She reached for a small sweater knowing it would probably be chilly outside. She didn't even bother changing, she simply took the small sweater in hand before walking out of her room.

She made her way downstairs before opening the door revealing Brian with a necklace in hand. At the sight of the necklace this caused Valentina to furrow her eyebrows. She looked back inside before stepping out of the house and closing the door behind her.

"What are you doing here at 4 in the morning Brian?" Valentina asked as she put her sweater on.

"V, there's been an accident." Brian said getting Valentina to turn her attention to the necklace once again.

"Brian, why do you have my sister's necklace?" Valentina asked as she started to feel like air was leaving her body.

"Letty, she uh, she didn't make it. I'm sorry V." Brian said and Valentina simply shook her head taking a step back.

"No, Letty texted me and said she would be coming home tomorrow." Valentina said as she was stuck in denial.

"I'm sorry, V. I had the agency recover some of her belongings her car is at the impound. But she's gone V." Brian said before Valentina felt her knees go weak.

"No! Brian tell me this isn't true! Please, not my Letty!" Valentina cried as Brian quickly pulled her in for a tight hug as she collapsed to the floor.

"No! Not my Letty!" Valentina called out as she cried in Brian's arms. "No! No! This can't be! No!" She continued screaming as she felt her heart shatter into a million pieces.