Epilogue

Old readers: you do NOT need to read the previous chapters again to remember the book. I will recap it in this chapter :)

Chapter NOT edited.

Started Typing 12/12/2023

Epilogue

Author's POV:

Siya was given the opportunity to spend a couple of hours every Saturday to go dance classes with Mary, a colleague and a dear friend of hers. The classes were not only a breath of fresh air from constant work but affordable because Mary's sister-in-law owned the studio.

When Siya had told Rohan about this, he was happy for her and saw no issues. Although he offered to pay for the classes, Siya took it upon herself. Appreciating and admiring her for the independent person she is, Rohan didn't speak a word after it.

It was her mother-in-law who couldn't understand the necessity of going to a dance class. Not entirely because she found it to be a waste of money or because she expected Siya to stay at home and do chores, but she was anxious. In Ridhi ma's head, Siya was definitely pregnant but just didn't know it yet. Her constant yawning, avoiding food and feeling tired was all signs of pregnancy. She couldn't let her expecting daughter-in-law to shake a leg.

Had she communicated this with her daughter-in-law? No. With her son, yes. Rohan's reaction was nothing but outrages. "Do you ever think of anything but kids, Ma?" He'd said this all without giving his words a second thought and left the house.

It was later one when he saw a doctor's name. Rohan was looking for something on top of the fridge when he saw a note that informed him that his wife had met a doctor a month ago. He frowns confusingly. Why'd Siya not tell me?

She was always outspoke. So outspoken that she had no control over her tongue, so how'd she keep this secret? When his wife calls for him, standing behind him, he crunches the paper in his hand, hiding it. "Ha," he says, facing her now.

"Can you grab some milk on your way back?" Her face is so oblivious to the new piece of information he's just found about her. There's no hint of guilt or change in her expression and voice as she speaks to him.

He nods, contemplating what the appointment could have been about. Anything but pregnancy. Please. But a part of him knew that wasn't possible. If there was something else, they were passionate about other than each other, than it was their career. Despite being married, their hunger for success still ran deep, especially Rohan's. They're always being so extra careful.

He stood there for a moment, staring at his wife, unflinching. "Rohan," she waves her hand in front of him. "What's wrong?"

He realised he'd stayed there just watching her. He shook his head, "nothing. I'll remember to get some milk." An unfettering smile and Rohan leaves his house, searching for answers. Any sort of answers to his non-stop questions.

That day he did a lot of thinking and reflecting. Trying to find fault in himself for any and every argument of differences he's had with his wife lately. Sure, it takes two to clap but he knew somewhere, somewhere deep down he's aware that he's so stubborn and ruthlessly in love with work.

He took Siya for granted, unintentionally. He assumed—even a minute ago—that it'll be smooth. The marriage will be smooth because they're not dating anymore. He doesn't have to go out of his way and drive to her place or make her feel she's wanted. He was her husband. Marriage was big enough of a commitment to show what she meant. Shit.