76- 'Trust'

Started Typing Again On – 11/04/2020

Chapter 76- 'Trust'

They had already travelled for three hours straight with an air lifting long deep conversations about their upbringings. Siya told him how once she sat on a camel around the age of five or six with her brother in front of her. She'd held him around the waist as the massive animal stood on his feet—making her heart jump in her throat from the unstableness—and walked while her parents listened to their children's roaring laughter and screams in excitement.

Rohan wished he could add anything similar to hers but didn't have anything exciting to deliver. He spoke about his school days and how he was the top students most of the times and enjoyed playing hockey and football with friends. "Typical." Siya mutters from the corner of her mouth.

Rohan gives her a side glance, "The camel ride wasn't so interesting too."

Siya snorts, "Oh, please. You're just jealous because my life was more adventurist then yours." She scoffs and flips her hair, looking out the window.

"Yeah," comes the mocking response. "With that pretty chatter-box mouth of yours I bet it was adventurist." Siya looks at her husband and he gives her a smug look and saults before putting his hands back on the wheel.

"At least I'm pretty," Siya murmurs with a hint of sarcasm. She looked so normal, so carefree and it confused him. As much as he appreciates seeing her improving and having normal conversations with him, it also freaked him out wondering if one day she'd explode.

The ride was as peaceful as it could get. An old song named 'Main Yahan Tu Wahan,' (I'm here and you're there) starts playing with the slowest and most effective melodies. In between the actors begins to speak out a portion of deep sentences—which sounded like poetry—causing Siya to sing alone, lost looking out the window.

Rohan concentrates on the road ahead but his ear paying attention to his wife's soulful voice. She definitely wasn't the best singer, but the feel—the feeling—made her voice approachable and effective.

He hears like an encouraging audience, drowning into the sorrow of the pain in her quiet voice. He takes a glimpse at her. Her knees hugging her chest as if pushing it into her body—making it one whole—and eyes trained out the window like a dead body—unblinking—head resting on the window.

A particular lyric drenches his heart, "neend aati nahi, yaad jaati nahi," (I can't sleep and your memories don't leave.)

He shuts his eyes tightly. Knuckles turning white and blood pressure rising. Is this her silent way of trying to say something to me? He watches her, sees her hum to the tunes, her fragile posture does nothing but aches his heart.

Unknowingly he turns the radio off. In quick reaction Siya looks at him, eyebrows shooting up, questioning his action. "T-that song makes me sad."

She doesn't say anything but nods, going back to sightseeing through the window. Siya's voice comes out barelt audible, but good thing Rohan was attentive towards her. "How would you define a monster?"

Her husband throws her a quick anxious and persistent glance before processing her sudden questions. It seemed important—the answer—because she spoke after so long.

He clears his scratchy and emotional throat before thinking over it. "Monster." He says it out-loud. His brain scrambling for the perfect and pleasing answer that'll set her heart at peace. "To me a monster is someone who's not capable of understanding me—or anyone in that case."

Siya wasn't expecting this. Her expressions said it all. Her feet touch the carpet on the passenger seat and she shifts her body facing her husband. Engrossed with the surprisingly answer.