16- Afraid

Started Typing On – 12/05/2019

Started Typing Again On – 14/05/2019

Chapter 16- Afraid

Rahul's Pov:

"But she doesn't des--"

"I've heard you repeating the same thing again and again, so stop it." Varun mutters, sighing for the third time at my words. We keep walking up the stairs till my apartment, quietly for a few minutes until he breaks it. "You can't decide what someone deserves or not, Rahul." I glance at him, disbelief washing over me and he gives me a stern glare.

"What? You like her or something?" I ask with a scoff like I don't care but I'm interested in his reply. I keep and emotionless face approaching my door and he hits my shoulders lightly drawing my attention to him.

"I don't like her like that. But I'm so over this 'deserving' topic, it's blowing my head. From what I'm hearing you've been singing her songs from the past day, so let me ask you." I give him a blank look, staring right into his determined gaze. "You like her?"

"Over my dead body." I manage to keep my voice low, standing outside my door and just then Ma flings it open with a horrifying expression. I want to face palm myself already, now she's going to start again. "Hey, Ma--" I try to greet her politely but she shouts earning the world's attention I suppose. I had the strong urge to cover my ears.

"Oh my god! Who's dead body?" She questions, looking at me and Varun with her curious eyes and I can see him from the corner of my eyes trying really hard not to laugh.

"Hi, Aunty." He greets by touching her feet and she blesses him. "Nobody's dead but you might have a heart attack if I tell you something secretive." He starts off with a serious voice but it drops into a playful one, he walks inside the house dropping himself on the couch and closes his eyes.

What secret? Ma being Ma, she loves gossip. She runs over to him—literally runs holding her white saree so she doesn't trip and sits beside my friend. Shaking his hand a little to gain his attention she asks, "Tell me, I won't tell anyone." She gives him a tight, serious convincing look and I roll my eyes. When my Ma says 'I won't tell anyone,' she's indirectly saying 'I'll tell least hundred people.' Women and their mouths!

He opens his eyes, showing his brown orbs to mum and yawns tiredly. "Aunty, cook me something please." I sit on the couch apposite them and enjoy my mum's falling face, she wrinkles up her nose and hits his shoulders in annoyance. Guess she was expecting some juicy update.

"Varun tell me, what secret?" Ma presses on and I give Varun a look when he looks back at me with a smirk. He's going to destroy me. I could feel it. It wasn't his normal smirk but the type where his upper lip lifted faintly and his eyes shines evilly and his head shakes a little indicating –get-ready-

I felt a part of me shake inside, that idiot was planning something and I had no clue about what exactly.

"Rahul may be gay." It was crystal clear in his voice, the sarcasm was hinting behind the sentence but the flick of panic and worry consumed my Ma's eyes and face annoyed me even more.

"You idiot." Anger bubbles under the surface of my voice and I clench my jaw tight, zipping my mouth in order to not let something harsh slip from the corner of my mouth but it already had. He raises his hands up in defeat but I could still figure out the playfulness lurking beneath that face of his. "You really think that?" My harsh tone reached his state level and he raises up from the couch and stares at me with a firm look.