44- The Little Boy

Started Typing On – 03/09/2019

Chapter 44- The Little Boy

Siya's Pov:

His mother wasn't due back home for least another hour or two and I didn't have any plans either so I decided to help the little boy with his homework. He scooted over in my bed, leaving enough space for me to sit. I did. Saif tells me his favourite subject is English and I smile, seeing myself in him. He tells me he wants to become an English teacher or a police officer, I stare at him, trying to imagine the boy in both the occupation.

"Do-don't stare." He muffled shyly, burying his face in his small hands. I chuckle at his response, pulling his book closer to get a good look at his homework. His homework required writing a small story, I was beginning to shower him with ideas for his topic when my phone started ringing.

"I'll be back." I told Saif. He nodded into his book, writing the date as I walk out the room, into the kitchen to get my phone. "Today isn't Sunday, Rohan." I remind.

"Hello to you too—wait, what? When did I ask if it's Sunday or not?"

"We're meeting on Sunday so I thought—" I felt my words hanging, letting him sum up and inhale the sentence and meaning. "Why'd you call?" From my free hand I started to place the glasses and plate back into their spot.

"Did you call them?" My eyebrows shoot up. He took my silence as an indication. "Siya." He draws my name hoarsely flat. "You didn't call that company? For your job? Telling them you're not interested."

Started Typing Again On – 04/09/2019

"I did." I spoke out clearly and balanced my voice to sound trusting. I heard something from the other-side. A small 'mph' as he dives into my voice, only just making the final decision to believe me or not.

He replied with a considerable ok and asked if I was still up for tomorrows date. I asked him why he wanted to make sure again to which he said, "you go grocery shopping on Sunday's, right? I don't want to be standing next to you as you continue arguing to reduce the price." I could taste the slight displeasure of his tone.

A laugh bubbled up in my throat. I forced it back down. "Are you stalking me?" I asked accusingly, enjoying the discomfort of Rohan from the other side.

"What?" His voice raised in defence. "No!" He spits out loudly to clarify himself so I withdraw my assumption. "I just happen to recall."

He's got a good memory but I don't say it out loud. I told him I will submit my work to Yug on Monday, Rohan offered to help if I needed a second hand but I declined. Still grateful from the proposal. I mentally gave Rohan a big tick in my head.

From behind me I felt someone's hand tugging onto the hem of my top, I look down, tilting my head to see Saif holding up his book for me to check. "One minute," I don't quite know who I aimed that phrase at. "Let me check." I kneel down to his height, take his book in one hand while balancing the phone with my shoulder and ear.

"Check what?" Rohan questions.

"Oh, not you." I respond. "I'm talking to Saif."

"Saif? Saif Ali Khan, Saif?" I wish.

He could be a tube-light at times. "Saif's a boy who lives right across from my apartment. His mum isn't home so he came over here. I was just helping him with his homework." I blabbered onto the phone, skimming through the notebook, taking in his jewel-like handwriting. I was impressed.