59- Mysterious Man

Started Typing On – 29/12/2019

Chapter 59- Mysterious Man

It was the next morning by the time Siya replied to Rohan's text asking for forgiveness and asking if she's doing alright—in terms of better than yesterday after her outburst—she replied with a simple, 'don't worry about me.' And hit send after turning her phone off.

A stiff knock startles her from her deep thought and she jumps up from her bed, picking a scarf on her way paired with her Kurta and unlocks the door. "Thanks for coming," She mutters, truly meaning each word coming out of her mouth breathlessly.

Payal gives her an uncertain smiled nod before stepping inside the house. "So, what do you need help with?"

She closes the door shut, turns to her friend and gestures for them to sit on the sofa's before Siya explains everything. "The rent of this house is increasing next month," lies because admitting the truth of being stalked would freak Payal out and she'd tell Mary and later the whole world. Rohan—unfortunately—comes inside the whole world.

Payal looks around with her honey touched eyes, her eyes judgement around the surface. "Really?" It stings Siya. No matter how this place was or society, this was—is—her home.

Siya nods, giving a positive answer to Payal's question. "I reported some damages to the house—the curtains, remember—" Payal nods, recalling the note she took from the last visit. "—Yeah, so, turns out the landlord would hold me in account for the damage or changes that I want—new curtains—so I'm hoping to move out soon. I lied to Arun uncle—landlord—that a friend of mine might be interested in this flat across from me."

Payal looked so off-track as if Siya spoke in a complete different language altogether. "How does that have anything to do with your place?"

As surprised as Siya is internally, she doesn't show it. The question was expected—of course it was—it was common sense but Payal doesn't usually care to ask any, so this was hard to digest.

Neutral expressions marry her face as swift easy going lies gets pulled out of her parted lips, "Well," she pauses, sitting down—finally. "—Uncle is desperate for a new tenant and he offered me a deal that if I bring someone along for a viewing, he would get impressed of my dedication and help towards him and would decrease some of the growing rent and as soon as I've found a place, I'm off."

"That's weird," her lips twitch up, unconvinced.

"Desperation does a lot of brain damage, Payal," she wasn't buying any of this—from what Siya thinks—and it's freaking Joshi out. "It's pure business, Payal. If I get someone for him, he has chances of earning rent from another tenant."

"But I'm not staying there. I'm going in for viewing only." She states sternly.

"I know, but I just want to look nice and supporting in his eyes. He's kind and innocent. Just seeing me brining him in supposed tenants would benefit me and him because he'll definitely tell you to pass the message around about his free--empty property."

There was something unusual about Siya's confidently rising voice, like she owned everything she said. Her eyes strong and hard, eagerness lingering on them but Payal doesn't catch that on. "Okay, fine. I'll help." She agrees with a hesitant nod. Chin quivering.

~~

Siya had lied to her landlord about her friend—from when she asked for the empty flats key—not being interested. Though, only she knew she never stepped inside that empty apartment or asked a friend to view it until now. Anyways, she hit two birds with one stone, automatically her landlord thinks very good of her since in his eyes she's got another tenant for him.