10- 'Work Call'

Started Typing On – 30/04/2019

Chapter 10- 'Work Call'

Siya's Pov:

Egoistic. The whole way back home I couldn't take my mind of Rahul's temper. It's not like I've stabbed him across his chest or thigh that he's been giving me the cold shoulder. I accept, I can get out of line but it's not like I like to test his patience purposely.

I hold the bag with the vegetables in my hand tightly as my other hand accompanies itself to my purse to dig in for my house key. I touch the spare pen I had kept inside the black purse, wriggling my head negatively, I scoop my fingers to the corner of the purse, at the same time I was looking ahead to not bump into someone or something.

Where is it? This was probably the most common story of anyone. Whenever you're trying to find something it just doesn't seem to appear in front of your eyes or fingers, just like right now. I click my tongue in irritation, the bag of vegetables was already heavy around my fingers, I could feel the strap of the rough cloth bag digging into my soft fingers, a red angry line should appear by now and I won't be surprised noticing it.

I had managed to get in front of my door when I dropped the bag on the floor and took my purse away from my shoulders, bring it closer to my eyes to look right through the darkness from inside the purse and spot the stupid silver key. I opened it up wide and bore my brown orbs closer until I saw the familiar house key sitting behind my notebook.

I let out a thankful sigh and grip the cold metallic silver key into my hand and shoved it into the small hole, twisting it hard I heard the usual 'click' indicating I could go inside and be greeted by the normal home-smell. I held the bag with the same hand which had my purse in before walking inside the house. Turning to close the door I caught Saif looking at me with curiosity.

The little boy always looked so mysterious. He stayed home—I mean, every time I saw him he was at home but then again, today is Sunday. His hair was always messed up, falling on his tan coloured forehead. His dark brown eyes were always peering into others—me mostly, whenever I caught him—with so much intensity like he's trying to study my routine. It's like he's noting down my steps, what I wear or when I watch out my own window. It was creepy but he never did anything wrong. He just stared.

He was just a little boy, what harm could he do anyways? My lips were straight and dry looking at him, trying to figure out why he's so alone and quiet all the time but he—shockingly—waved at me and I hesitantly managed to wave back with a tight smile. I shut the door quickly and gulp hard.

I gasp. "What if he's a spy's kid?" I cover my mouth, my eyes wide, looking at the closed door as if I could see Saif through it. "Did baba (father) send someone to find me?" My shoulder then relax realizing my father would never do that.

He had ego problems, whenever my mother and he'd have a fight he'd never apologise, it hurt his brutally gigantic ego. He'd never send someone to check on me. Once I left, I'm sure he wouldn't dare try to contact me. It's been nearly over half a year and I haven't heard from my family. "He's just a little boy, Siya." I whisper to myself.

Now I realized, not only that Rahul but a little boy can also intimidate me. Maybe I am too short on confidence? I force myself to forget those earthy eyes watching me a few seconds ago and walk to the kitchen with the groceries. What must Viren be doing? I wanted to talk to my brother but it wasn't possible before feeling guilty.

In between my sad and tough life bickering my phone sprang into action with it's loud ring making me startled in my spot for a few seconds before I collected myself. Reaching out to take my phone from my black purse I saw it was an unknown number. Can't be Rahul because I save his number. I hardly had anyone's number expect the Verma brothers, Neha's, Rahul's and my family's, it made me wonder who it could be and anxious at the same time.