85 - Ghar ki Baat hai'

Started Typing On – 17/05/2020

Chapter 85 - Ghar ki Baat hai'

You. "Er, nothing much. Ju—just ra—random stuff?" She turns away from him and sets her phone on the table. This feels wrong. I'm doing nothing but I feel like a spy. She feels a warm hand brush in hers. Her eyes stare at their intertwined hands as he drags her to the dining table. "What're y—"

"Look at this," He has a relaxing goofy grin. Humorous. The kind that makes others laugh along with him. Siya gazes down at the newspaper wrap. She unwraps it and sees a dark orange jalebi. One particular large jalebi's shape is of a horrible looking giraffe. His wife giggles and covers her mouth.

"Oh, Rohan." He chuckles with her. Nods his head in agreement, the laughter stays intact. "Did you ask the man to make a giraffe?" He bows his head ridiculously. "Can't say it looks handsome but, hey, the necks still long." She makes an L with her thumb and index finger—something a cameraman would do—and brings it close to his neck, examining it with the jalebi.

"Siya." He warns, facing a difficult time keeping a straight face but he's far from it. "Don't make fun of my long nec—"

"So you accept you've got a long nec—"

"Long what? Who's got what long?" Varun questions with confused yet naughty expressions.

"I swear to god you make everything sound so inappropriate."

"What? It's just your wife and you." Rohan gives him a doubtful look. Asking him to correct himself. "And me, but that's oka—"

Siya cuts him off. "Hi, Varun. When did you come?" She completely ignores their stupid discussion.

"A few seconds ago when you were talking about something being lon—"

"Right, I need to see, Ma. Bye." Red Mrs Bhatt heads into the kitchen.

"What?" Varun gushes at a glaring Rohan.

"You eat and get out of my house."

"Breathe my child. Breathe. Inhale, stomach in, chest out, hands to the side—kind of in an upward direction—exhale, slowly from your mouth, realise the pressure from the lungs, relax and hear the beautiful birds chipping and dogs barking and mothers shouting and wives fi—" Varun's eyes are close, head slowly moving as if sleeping in a fluffy cloud, voice feather-light and instructive. Slight dreamy too.

Rohan whacks him in the shoulder. He groans. "What are you? Yoga instructor?"

"I could do that actually," He's still wincing. "Gym then yoga classes. Breathe in, breathe out."

Rohan has a lot more to say but he quietens down once his wife and mother begin to set the dining table. "FOOD!" Varun screams in delight. "Aunty, mujhe de do saara." (Aunty, give me all of it.)

Ridhi chuckles touching his head. "Start eating then." Siya chuckles despite her head clouded with confusion and stress. She settles beside Rohan. Varun sits opposite Rohan while his mother sit's in the head seat.

"Aunty, one quick question." Varun swallows his curry and roti. Ridhi nods. "When Siya's pregnant, will you guys be cooking this much food? If yes, I'll join." He enjoying the food and Ridhi's enjoying the topic being brought up. Now Rohan can't blame her because it's Varun's fault.

"Hmm," she hums sweetly. From the side of her eyes, she catches Siya silent and looking down at her plate. Rohan at this point has given up. He's learnt to accept the, 'ignore' word. "I'm not sure. I need to hear the good news first for that."