Inhale, Exhale ~ Cam Newton for Alyssa {avalynncurry}

You've seen the madness

Blind to right or wrong

I tried to put my brakes on, but I'm already lost

Lost to the madness

Cause when I inhale, exhale

I'm back again

~NAO

~~~~~

The football misses my gloved hands by a millimeter, and I groan as I see Cam's smirking figure making its way to me. He slaps me on the back hard, causing me to stumble forward a little.

"Better luck next time, rookie," he says with a wink. I gag, jogging back to the sidelines. Greg Olsen jogs over, and I toss him a water bottle. He chugs it halfway before sending me a tired smile, going back onto the field.

"Alyssa, get your ass back out here!" I hear Cam shout. Grabbing my helmet, I meet the rest of the offense in the huddle, and Cam calls out the play. I make my way to my position, looking the cornerback dead in the eye.

In a split second, the play is in action, and I outrun the poor guy "covering" me. I watch as Cam throws the ball, thinking it's making its way towards me.

I put my hands, ready to catch it.

The ball zooms over my head to a widely covered Kelvin Benjamin, who barely catches it. My eyes widen, and my jaw drops as I witness Kelvin hold up the ball triumphantly. Cam whizzes past me, slapping him on the helmet. I shake my head, ripping off my helmet and throwing it on the field angrily.

I push everyone out of my way as I head to the locker room.

I'm almost successful in my efforts when a pair of arms wrap around my waist, holding me back.

"Let me go!" I hiss, trying to wiggle free from their grasp.

"You don't like me anymore? I'm hurt."

I look Luke Kuechly in the eyes, sending him a sympathetic look. He cocks his head to the side like a small puppy, and his thumb makes it way to my cheek, wiping a stray tear that I didn't even know I had.

Luke pulls me in for a hug, and I sob uncontrollably, angry tears streaming down my face.

"Alyssa, what's wrong? You freaked everybody out back there," Luke asks, looking me dead in the eye.

"I honestly think Cam hates my guts," I mutter.

"What?"

I break away from the hug, stomping angrily on the ground.

"Cam hates me! He hates my guts!" I exclaim. Luke looks at me questioningly.

"Why on Earth do you think that?"

I scoff, rolling my eyes. "He hasn't thrown a ball my way in four weeks, and when I finally think he's going to do it, it flies over my head to another receiver! What's his problem? I was wide open!" I shake my head, trying to calm myself down.

"Maybe I shouldn't even be in this league."

Luke looks like I literally slapped him across the face.

"Dude, we wouldn't have picked you up if we didn't know that you belonged on this team. In all honesty, Cam can be a jerk, but I don't think he's used to you quite yet. I'll talk to him about it, okay?" Luke reassures me. I nod, sending Luke a small smile. 

He sends me a wide smile before grabbing my shoulders, steering me back to the field. 

~~~~~

I wring my hands together as I witness Luke talking to Cam on the other side of the field. Cam looks over at me sitting nervously on the bench. He starts walking over, talking to some teammates along the way. 

He stands in front of me, crossing his arms over his chest. "So you tattled on me to Luke over there?" He scoffs. I stand up, clenching my fists tightly. 

"I didn't tattle on anyone. I was speaking my mind. Since you obviously overthrew that ball on purpose even when I was wide open, I was-no, I still am extremely mad. Why can't you just let me catch one pass from you? I promise I'm not a bad wide receiver!" I retort, clenching my jaw. He blinks, not saying a word.

"Do you hate me or something?" I ask. He continues to look at me, and I stomp my foot impatiently. 

"Well?"

Cam throws his head back and laughs.

He flippin' laughs. 

I roll my eyes. "I don't understand what's so funny, Newton!"

He bends over at the waist, clutching his stomach. 

"Let me get this straight. You actually think I don't like you? Are you crazy or something? This is pure gold!" Cam exclaims, still laughing a little. I look at him, confused. 

"Excuse me?"

Luke walks up behind Cam, wrapping an arm around his shoulders. "Dang, this was too good to not be apart of," Luke says, winking at me. 

I throw my hands up, signaling them to stop. "What on earth are you two talking about?"

They both look at each other, and Luke nods. 

Cam opens his mouth to speak. 

"I haven't been throwing passes to you correctly for the past few weeks on purpose, Alyssa. We call it rookie initiation. Basically, we wanted to see how'd you react to all those passes that were thrown near you or not to you at all," he stops for a second, holding back giggles. 

"Your reaction was the funniest I've ever seen."

He and Luke bust out into laughter again as my eye twitches. 

"Let me get this straight. You didn't throw passes to me for four fucking weeks because of some stupid rookie initiation bullshit?!" I shout. "And you, Luke, were in on it too?  You comforting me was just an act? Are you fucking serious?!"

They both shut up after that. 

"Well," Cam starts, "at least you passed!"

"You two are fucking idiots!"

Those two nincompoops bolt as I chase after them, yelling profanity after profanity.

They haven't seen how mad I can get just yet.

~~~~~

Hi there Alyssa {avalynncurry}! I hope you enjoyed reading your imagine! My sincere apologies for it being up so late, but I hope my writing makes up for it!

Thank you all so much for reading, and I'll see you all soon with another imagine!