Tempted:43:

*Bella*

3:48 PM

"You know, you were shaking yesterday." Trent said, looking up from his coffee.

"Yeah, it's a bad habit I've picked up."

"How could you pick up something like that?"

"It's kind of a long story."

"Well we have time." He chuckled, a small blush creeping up my cheeks, which I quickly hid.

"I've never told anyone about it before except my brother...and Justin knows because he was there- it's probably not what you're thinking though. That came out bad. It wasn't Justin's fault."

"What happened?"

"He used to be part of...a gang I guess. He never really called it that though, but that's what it was. Anyway, he got out of that - he tried to. I didn't want him to be a part of it anymore. So many nights he had come home hurt, he didn't have his family, and he would have died...we almost did. Justin thought that after he quit, it'd be best to stay away from me so he kept me safe, but that didn't really work...I found out that my brother had beaten Justin up Justin's sophmore year of highschool. Justin had left the house because his parents were fighting - that's another story, but when I found out I ran to his house. I was crying, I was upset, I missed him, but he wasn't home and I didn't know that. I banged on the door...the next thing I knew I was thrashng to get away from Manny - I guess the ring leader - and I passed out because they drugged me with something. I went through a lot that night. A part of me thought Justin wasn't going to come, that maybe he wouldn't find me. He found me. They hurt him right away, I listened to them beating him in that room. They made him watch a video of things happening to me, things I couldn't control...I remember Manny holding a gun to my head with Justin in front of me...so I guess that's why I got so scared. I almost didn't come to New York. It scared me, knowing that it was dangerous here, that Manny was still out there and he wanted Justin and I both dead...but I'm here." I slowly looked up, afraid of the reaction I would get - because I had never told it to anyone like that. "There's always that fear of it happening again, so last night when I got lost, I didn't really know what to do. Lucky for me I bumped into you."

"He doesn't know? Does he?"

"No," I admitted, fiddling with the mug in my hands. "He doesn't trust a lot of people...and a guy is a threat to him. He's afraid of things happening again, afraid of someone being in on the inside I guess. I don't know. It's a complicated thing..."

"Well he's lucky to have someone like you to go through that with, but in my perspective, it doesn't seem like he treats you very well."

"He does," I insisted, straightening myself up. "He's made me dinner, he's surprised me several times. He used to leave me notes sometimes in the morning before I went to schoolon my door. He's supportive of what I want to do. You just don't know him yet."

"He has made up his mind about me Isabelle." Trent sat back, his arms crossed over his chest. "It bothers me. Not that he doesn't like me, I don't care about that. It's the fact that I've seen him yell at you, I've seen him tell you to shut up - even what you told me last night. He really makes you happy?"

"Yes," I nodded quickly, looking out the window as I thought. "He makes me incredibly happy."

"Can you look me in the eye and tell me that?"

"I love him Trent." I did look him in the eye, a firm grip on my mug. "I didn't even tell him I was coming here with you today. Do you know how mad he would be if he found out?"

"God Bella it's like he owns you. Don't you see that?"

"He's just being a protective boyfriend."

"An overprotective boyfriend."

"It's nice to be overprotected then not be protected at all. He cares."

"He has to understand that not everyone around you is dangerous. He's threatened for no reason."

"Justin has reasons." I said through my teeth, trying to stay classy in public.

"Like what?!" He threw up his hands, making me cower back a little.

"He thinks you're into me." I whispered, keeping my eyes locked on my cup.

"What if I am? What would you do?"

That took me by surprise, my eyebrows coming together in confusion.

"Trent, you know this is just friends having coffee, right?"

"I could treat you better than he does. That's for sure."

"Trent, I'm serious. This can't be anything more than coffee- I-I love him. I want to be friends with you, but we can't be more than that...I'm sorry if I gave you that impression. Maybe I should go..." I stood up, feeling that familar pang of guilt in my stomach.

He really had been trying to ask me out before.

"Isabelle, don't go." He grabbed my free hand, giving me the right amount of momentum to turn back around - our faces literally a few inches apart. "Please."

"Don't do this." I whispered, closing my eyes. "I can't do this. I love him. Nobody else can change that. No one. Friends Trent, that's what I'm asking, don't do this."

"Would you stop me?"

"Tr-"

And then it happened. He kissed me, but I pulled away as quickly as I could, feeling my throat tighten, the guilt as strong as it had ever been.

What had I done? I'm the one that suggested we went out after school. I should have left, I should have stepped back, I...

I didn't even know what to say, I just turned around and ran out as fast as I could.

How was I supposed to tell Justin? I had been defending Trent all this time and Justin was right. He was so right and I had put myself in that situation.

Was it cheating? I didn't want it. I told him that. I loved Justin. All I wanted was Justin. What if he left me? What if he didn't want to be with me anymore?

I was crying in the middle of New York City, and I didn't even care. I wanted to go home. I wanted Justin.

I wanted to go home home, where I could see Justin every day, where I could see my family, and Jackie - oh god a girl talk would be so good right now. I'd definitely call her when I got inside.

Her and I have talked, but we've both been busy. She knew about Trent. She knew about the fight Justin and I had, and even she had told me maybe Trent was interested - I just didn't want to believe it.

I crossed the last street I needed to to get back to my apartment building, opening up the door and walked up the stairs to my floor, fiddling in my bag for my keys and opened the door to my apartment, finding my phone when I got inside.

Oh god, he had texted me. I couldn't even answer right now, but I knew if I didn't answer he'd call in a little bit...I didn't know what to do.

That's why I had Jackie.

I dialed her number, taking off my shoes and curled up on my bed, looking out my window at the city.

"Izzy! I miss you!" She cooed like she always did, and the sound of her voice made me cry harder, reaching out for a nearby pillow to hug to my face. "Izzy, Izzy oh my god what's wrong?"

"He kissed me." I squeezed my eyes shut, the image popping up in my head. "You and Justin were both right. How am I supposed to tell Justin? What if he breaks up with me? I can't lie to him - I can't hide it from him."

"Izzy, did you kiss him back?"

"No! I love Justin. i told Trent I didn't want it. I told him we could only be friends. I'm going to hurt Justin and he's already going through so much. I pushed Trent off of me. I don't know what to do."

"Justin will understand. He loves you."

"He's not going to. What if he thinks I did kiss Trent? When he finds out he's going to be so upset."

"You can't wait to tell him. That's going to make it worse...he won't have a reason to be upset with you if you tell him now, but waiting he will."

"He's coming over on Friday and he's making me dinner. I don't know how I'm going to do it."

"Just talk to him. You know he trusts you, he loves you. For Trent to do that to you is a douche bag move. Justin's going to be mad at him."

"I'm so scared."

"Don't be scared. Everything will be ok. Just try to have a nice time. It wasn't your fault."

But after that I told her the rest of the story, about last night, about what I had told Trent today...what if he told people?

"Don't tell Mike. Please. I want to make sure it's me that talks to Justin."

"I won't. I promise Izzy."

"When I come up for Thanksgiving, we're hanging out. I miss you so much. I miss home."

"I miss you too Izzy. I'll come up before then to visit. I promise. We can have a girls night and maybe I can keep Justin's paws off you for a little bit."

"That might not be a problem." I mumbled, wiping my eyes with the back of my hand.

"Isabelle Rose Knowle, stop it. He loves you. This wasn't your fault. You know Justin is going to want to kick his ass and he's not going to be mad at you."

"He will be when I knows I put myself in the situation. I want to be friends with Trent, but I won't risk Justin and I's relationship because of it."

"He's going to understand."

"I hope so. I don't think I'm going to school tomorrow. I can't. I know that when I call Justin I'm going to be crying again...and I have classes with Trent. I can't. I'll get my work offline. Then Justin's here Friday..."

"You'll be ok, both of you will. Do you want to text me after you call him?"

"Yeah, I probably will. I'm going to take a shower first."

"Ok, don't cry. It'll be ok. Love you."

"Love you too Jackie." I laughed at that, then hung up, pushing myself off my bed and went into my bathroom.

I was terrified.

___________

*Justin*

7:33 PM

"Hey," I said, popping my head in Jaxon's room. "What are you doing?"

"Nothing really." He shrugged, sitting up where he had himself sprawled out. "I think something is going on with Mom and Dad."

"What do you mean?" I shut the door behind me, sitting down beside him.

"I remember the other morning Dad had leaned down and he kissed her forehead. He did it again this morning, except this time she knew we weren't there, and she smiled at him, I thought that was going to be all of it, but he kissed her cheek then. I know it's little things, but-"

"No, I get what you're saying." I nodded my head slowly, thinking to myself. "I've noticed it too."