Chapter 38: Friends

Scarlett's POV
I woke up with Nathaniel next to me.

Everything came back. I couldn't believe I had almost killed myself..

I heard Nathaniel groan.

I looked up and he was looking down at me. I had to thank Nathaniel, he pushed my hallucination away.

Even after I had swallowed the pills I had a nightmare and just when Edward was getting to me I had heard Nathaniel's voice.
I smiled at Nathaniel and he returned the smile.

" Feeling better?" Nathaniel asked.

" Much better, is it the 26 now?" I asked.

He went to turn his phone on.

" Yep. " He said popping the p.

I sighed in relief.

" Scarlett I have to say I'm sorry for what happened at the office!" Nathaniel whispered.

" I forgive you Nathaniel, after you squeezed the life out of me yesterday how can I not forgive you! "

Thinking about how I felt my stomach being squeezed reminded me that my stomach still ached.

After silence began  we looked awkward to each other.

" Scarlett don't do that ever again, you scared the shit out of me.." Nathaniel said.

I looked down.

" I'm sorry Nathaniel I was scared. I started to see my brother and I didn't think the consequences of drinking to much pills... I just wanted him to go away.." I said with small panic.

" Why do you have sleeping pills in the first place? " Nathaniel asked.

I swallowed.

" After my brother died I started having nightmares.... Every year they get worse so this year I had no option but to go for sleeping pills..." I whispered, surprised I was trusting him with this. It had been so long since I had talked about my brother.

" So that's why you were sleeping on my couch..."

I blinked confused and realized I didn't have nightmares when I slept close to Nathaniel...

" Something like that. " I said and looked somewhere else away from his intense look.

Nathaniel sighed and hugged me tighter.

" Didn't your father or Marisa ever take you to a therapist or something? " Nathaniel asked.

I swallowed and I felt myself tense up... There was no way I could open up to Nathaniel without telling him about me being a street racer.

" After Edward died everything went down hill and everyone dealed with it in their own way..." I said with precaution.

"Scarlett, I'm very sorry you had to go through that alone but I'm here now, for you!"

I sat up and looked at him... What if he was lieing? What if he destroyed my trust?
I suddenly felt a wall grow up. I was scared... What if I told him about street racing and he took away from me what had been keeping me sane...

" This isn't your playboy strategy, is it?" I narrowed my eyes at him.

Nathaniel's eyes flashed hurt for a moment and he sat up.

" I know my reputation doesn't help but I'm willing to earn your trust.." Nathaniel said and grabbed my hand.

I looked down at our hands.