Chapter 116: Promises

June 28th, 2027
*****************
The days kept going by and things between Nathaniel and I were awkward. He was also acting strange like if he knew something I didn't. I wasn't sure how to explain it.

Anyway after the hug we agreed that we needed time to think things through. What Marisa had confessed changed everything.

"We are close to lunch!" I informed Hayden.

Right now I watched Hayden playing his violin. I had to admit Hayden was increible with music he learned so fast. I was cooking and I loved his small notes.

I open the counter to take can beans out but I found it missing. I frowned, this was starting to become a habit I would be sure I placed something on a certain spot and then it would be gone.

I was beginning to doubt my photographic memory.

I searched another counter and found a few missing things as well. My frown became bigger.

Maybe Oliver...

Soon I heard a knock and I turned around to see Hayden opening the door.

"Uncle!" Hayden announced. I looked up to find Nathaniel. I face palmed my forehead mentally. I had already spoken with Hayden about calling Nathaniel uncle but I guess he didn't understand.

Nathaniel would turn red every time Hayden called him that. Hayden was picked up from the floor and into Nathaniel's arms.

"Nephew!" Nathaniel called out. I felt my face heat.

These too had been getting along perfectly. Suddenly Hayden was being tickled and I heard screams of laughter. I laughed as well.

"Stoop!" Hayden squeaked. Nathaniel looked at me and stopped tickling Hayden.

"Hello!" I said.

Nathaniel winked.

"I brought a few ideas and I was able to find what element could provide huge energy!" Nathaniel said.

"You mean the engineers?" I pointed out.

Nathaniel rolled his eyes. "Whatever."

"You always work!" Hayden huffed.

Nathaniel and I looked at Hayden.

"Can we play today?"

Nathaniel raised an eyebrow. "Play?" Nathaniel asked.

"Yeah monopoly or -"

"Monopoly?" I asked bewildered.

Both Hayden and Nathaniel sent me shocking expressions.

"Yes, you know winning properties?"

What?

"How about uno?" I looked between Hayden and Nathaniel. I really didn't know what that was.

"Do you know any board games?" Nathaniel asked bewildered.

I did!

"Chess!" Nathaniel slapped his forehead.

I was beginning to worry about myself.

"Hayden bring any board game you have!" Nathaniel said.

Hayden ran out of the living room.
Nathaniel eyed me with disbelief.

"Really?" Nathaniel mumbled.

Soon Hayden came back holding something called Jenga.