Chapter 50

Someone held an eye open, then flashed some light in my eye. At first, I couldn't squint to block it out. But as they moved onto the second eye, I began to dilate them on command then blinked. As if I could blink the engrained flash out of my eyes. The clamouring in the room I was in and the use of certain terms led me to believe that I was in a hospital. As my vision became less blurred, I saw a hand moving from one ear to another, the person was snapping their fingers. And as more seconds passed it became more magnified. I pushed the hand away and closed my eyes mumbling something about discomfort.
There was a couple of chuckles and some sighs. You're tired? Imagine how I feel.

I pulled myself up, positioning myself to sit up as I registered the lack of pain in my right side of my body. I scanned the room before looking by the window to see Bella, Deja and Cubb talking. Just as I was about to tune in to their conversation, the doctor waved his hand in front of me. I quirked a brow when I realized it was the same doctor since the last time I was here.

"Ms Coleman. Such a pleasure meeting you here." He tried to joke.

I suppressed the urge to quirk my brow. He's got okay looks and a blinding smile but the humour needs more work. I looked at his name tag. Gyllenhaal? That's a weird name. Jake Gyllenhaal

"So, I have to run a few tests on you to make sure you're coherent enough." He began then pulled a seat up to me. He put up his fingers. Really man?

"Three. And a blinking dot." That's gradually fading.

"Ok, follow my finger."

I did as told with ease, just wanting to get it over with.

"Wow. Impressive. What's your name?"

"Zendaya, you know this."

"Nice, age?"

"I dunno? Almost 19? I lost track."

"Your birthday actually went and you didn't know? Damn." He muttered as he looked on my file

"I didn't expect to make it this long," I muttered as he looked back on the list.

"You said something?" He furrowed his brows in a nearly worried manner, even as I shook my head. "Oh..Kay. Next is knee reflex."

I hope I don't kick too hard.

Ok, maybe I did. He's groaning and holding his shoulder and I don't know if I should be sorry, feel bad, or laugh. The way his facials are set is hilarious, so you can't blame me for smothering my laugh.

"You got one hell of a kick. What do you have ostrich legs!?" He noticed me laughing and managed to put a pained smile. "Was just about to conclude you don't have much of a sense of humour. Thank heavens." He moved his shoulders in circular motions before continuing the physical checkups.

We came to the end of it all and I ended up with a new bottle of medicine and advice. Plus his number because he senses that I could use a doctor's ear from time to time. Or something like that.
Anyways, I was set to be discharged in an hour, which allotted the three people I was with to keep me company. I felt okay with it until I heard Deja's questioning mind. Before Dr Gyllenhaal left I asked him a question I know for sure Deja would bring up.

"How long was I out for?"

He looked at his board. "Just a little over an hour. Total."

I nodded and he exited. The three came in shortly after and I prepared myself for a lecture. Bella immediately pulled me into a hug when she got to the beside. And the faces of my cousins showed relief. I displayed confusion before I could reciprocate a hug.

"Z, uh. You know you can stay at my house or Cubb's if you don't wanna stay at yours. Claire is quite toxic, taken from all she's done, and she's hampering your state of being."