Chapter 64: Arrogance Bred from Favoritism

Unable to figure it out, Lu Yanzhi straightforwardly asked Fu Jichen, "What did the Pei family do to you?" Given the severity of his actions, it was clear it wasn't just a petty grudge.

"They didn't do anything to me." Fu Jichen couldn't be bothered to come up with excuses to appease him. "I just promised someone."

"Who?"

Who could not only have a grudge against the Pei family but also convince Fu Da to help?

Lu Yanzhi racked his brains, scrutinizing everyone around Fu Jichen. After going through the list, he finally thought of Shen Jianian and, considering her background, felt he had found the right answer.

When the Lingyue Group was swallowed up by the Pei family, they had sealed off the news to avoid any accusations. However, such a major move couldn't be hidden from everyone. Although the headquarters of the Lu family was in Yicheng, they had significant business ties to Beicheng. Lu Yanzhi had heard about it a long time ago.

"Don't tell me... you did all this for Shen Jianian!" Lu Yanzhi shouted, almost hoarse.

In contrast, Fu Jichen seemed nonchalant. "Why not?"

Lu Yanzhi didn't know what expression to use to judge Fu Jichen's current demeanor. How could he be so indifferent to such a dangerous situation, as if saying "the moon looks nice tonight"?

"Are you really willing to make enemies with the entire Pei family for Shen Jianian?" Lu Yanzhi wasn't joking with him, his expression serious. "The Pei family is deeply rooted in Beicheng, and it's not as easy to destroy them as it seems on the surface. If anything goes wrong, your situation will be difficult."

Internal struggles within the Fu family would only be more intense than external ones. Those so-called close relatives were waiting for Fu Jichen to fall into the mud and be unable to get up, so they could continue to vie for the position of heir.

One less competitor meant one more hope, didn't it?

Fu Jichen lazily fluttered his eyelids, indifferent. "Just a mere Pei family."

Lu Yanzhi was speechless. Compared to the wealthy Fu family, wasn't it just "a mere Pei family"?

Even so, as Fu Jichen's good friend, he had to advise him. "I know you really like Shen Jianian, but doing this is not worth it. You can make her happy in many ways; there's no need to jeopardize yourself. People say, it's better to have one more friend than one more enemy, right? Even if you can't become friends with the Pei family, it's better to coexist peacefully. Why make enemies for yourself? Do you find your life too comfortable?"

"I feel like I'm listening to a monk chanting scriptures when you talk." Fu Jichen propped his forehead with one hand, leaning back in his chair, his eyelids half-drooped, showing impatience.

"You're the one who needs a monk!" Lu Yanzhi retorted.

Fu Jichen chuckled but didn't say anything. How could he be a monk? His desires had been stirred up recently, and life was going extremely well for him.

Lu Yanzhi couldn't help but notice the bite mark on his hand again and the curve of his lips, shaking his head. "You're spoiling her! She'll become arrogant because of your favoritism. She hasn't done much yet, but she dares to act so presumptuously in front of you. If something serious happens in the future, it will be a slap in your face."

Last time, he remembered seeing those scratches on his neck when he went to Rose Manor on the day of Qin's wedding. Today, he saw them again, this time on his face, in such a prominent position! His hand was also bitten.

Wasn't he a man with any pride?

Fu Jichen touched the bite mark on his hand and raised an eyebrow. "Arrogance bred from favoritism? I'm looking forward to it."