Chapter 84: Trouble Strikes Again

At eleven o'clock that night, the butler escorted three policemen to the gates of the Fu residence, watching them leave in a car, exhaling a sigh of relief slowly, their steps back becoming gradually slower, revealing exhaustion.

It had been quite a heart-pounding night, but thankfully, the young master intervened, saying there wasn't enough evidence, so the old master wasn't taken away by the police.

Otherwise, the whole Fu family would've ended up in the news tomorrow.

When the butler returned to the main hall, most people had already dispersed. No one was in the mood to welcome the arrival of the new year, and the atmosphere around was quiet, completely unlike New Year's Eve.

Despite the old master's good spirits, he was somewhat tired after the ordeal. When the housekeeper brought a bowl of ginseng soup for him, he waved it off, asking the maid to put it down.

"Grandpa, things won't be resolved in a snap. You should rest early and not tire yourself out," Fu Jicheng signaled to the butler.

The butler understood and stepped forward to help the old master up from the sofa.

Before going back to his room, the old master gave a cold glance at Fu Huaxian, who had a frightful night, telling him to reflect on his actions and not to go out for the time being.

"Jicheng."

After admonishing Fu Huaxian, the old master called Fu Jicheng's name, his tone noticeably softer, much gentler towards Fu Jicheng.

Approaching, Fu Jicheng slightly lowered his head, adopting a posture of awaiting orders.

"The next steps..." the old master hesitated.

"I know, don't worry. I'll handle it properly," Fu Jicheng assured.

Fu Jicheng knew what the old master didn't explicitly say was to ensure he paid close attention and followed up diligently, making sure there were no loose ends left for either the police or anyone else to seize upon.

For the Fu family to have reached their current status, many eyes were watching, many waiting for their downfall. Therefore, the higher one's position, the more comprehensive their approach had to be.

With his assurance, the old master could finally relax a bit. Supported by the butler, he returned to his room, the bowl of ginseng soup untouched.

As Fu Jicheng made calls while heading upstairs, he heard footsteps behind him.

When he finished instructing his subordinates and turned around, he saw Fu Yuling tagging along like a little tail.

As he glanced over, she smiled sweetly at him, raising her face and walking a few steps closer to him, whispering softly, "Brother, what's uncle trying to accomplish? Our family is so wealthy, and he's not bad-looking, although he's a bit older. Why force a girl like that?"

"Mind your own business and don't gossip," Fu Jicheng's expression turned cold, leaving her with a warning before striding ahead of her up the stairs.

Fu Yuling's face instantly fell, stomping her foot in frustration. Why was it always so difficult to have a proper conversation with him?

On the first day of the new year, the old Fu residence was shrouded in gloom, with unsettled hearts.

Shortly after breakfast, Fu Jicheng, carrying a file folder, arrived at the study on the third floor.

The old master had a restless night, almost sleepless, accustomed to rising at five or six in the morning. Now, he was a bit weary, so he brewed a strong pot of tea to invigorate himself.