Chapter 119: End of the Line

The girl outside the door paused for a moment, then entered the private room. As she opened her mouth to speak, she noticed Shen Jiani sitting next to Fu Jichen and froze.

Due to the angle, she hadn't seen anyone else inside the room when she looked in from outside, so she felt a bit awkward now. Her expression became unnatural as she spoke, "Jichen Ge, sorry to disturb you."

While speaking, her gaze involuntarily swept over Shen Jiani.

Shen Jiani had mainly come to the hospital to visit a patient and hadn't bothered with makeup before leaving. She was wearing a thick cotton shirt with a knitted vest over it, paired with jeans. Her coat was draped over the back of her chair.

Her simple attire, clean face, long hair cascading down, and overall demeanor exuded a student-like aura.

Feeling the other girl's gaze linger on her face for too long, Shen Jiani felt uncomfortable. She lifted her eyes to meet the girl's gaze directly.

The girl, roughly the same age as Shen Jiani, was dressed like a delicate doll in a storefront window. Her black wavy hair was tied up in a high ponytail with a small black butterfly hairpin, and she wore a stylish outfit with knee-high boots hugging her calves. She carried a mini-sized handbag.

Their eyes met, and the girl quickly looked away, turning to Fu Jichen with an indifferent tone, "Jichen Ge, are you here entertaining clients?"

She knew the girl sitting next to Fu Jichen wasn't a client; no client would dress like Shen Jiani did. She probably thought Shen Jiani was a university student being supported by a wealthy man, feeling a hint of disdain for her, hence the deliberate inquiry.

"Jichen Ge" was her older sister's fiancé. Since she happened to run into him, she felt she had to do something to make this presumptuous girl back off.

Fu Jichen's expression turned cold. "Not a client. Do you have something else?"

Xu Jingyi, carrying her handbag, took a few steps closer, chatting with him warmly, "Do you know that my sister is coming back to the country soon? Her things have been shipped back from abroad. Will you be picking her up at the airport? I can send you the flight information."

Fu Jichen replied indifferently, "Is that all?"

Xu Jingyi's expression stiffened. What was with his attitude?

Although they hadn't held a formal engagement ceremony, and they couldn't be considered officially engaged, their families had verbally agreed to match Fu Jichen with her sister, Xu Youxuan.

Would he not understand what she meant?

Seeing Fu Jichen's indifferent expression, Xu Jingyi felt a bit uneasy and dared not say more. She awkwardly smiled, "My friend is waiting for me. I won't disturb your meal. Bye."

Xu Jingyi playfully waved her hand and quickly left.

As soon as she left the corridor, her group of good friends surrounded her, curious, "Who was that handsome man? He's so good-looking! Just one glance from afar and our souls were hooked. How come we didn't know you had such a good-looking brother?"

Xu Jingyi felt a surge of anger in her chest, her face turning red. "What kind of brother is he to me? He's my sister's fiancé. We've met before, and according to etiquette, I called him 'ge,' but from now on, I'll have to call him 'brother-in-law.'"

"Isn't your sister studying abroad?"

"She's already graduated with a Ph.D., and she'll be returning to the country soon." Xu Jingyi said with a heavy heart, "When I went in, I saw him with a young girl. He said she wasn't a client, so I think he's keeping a university student as his mistress. It's despicable, putting my sister in such a position."