Chapter 71: Don't Want to See Him

To give her a clearer view, Fu Jichen pushed open the car door.

Pei Che's gaze penetrated unobstructed into the car, where Shen Jiannian sat in a sakura pink knit suit, nestled in the man's arms. The man had deep-set brows and eyes, with a sharply defined face, lazily leaning against the backseat.

A very familiar face, someone from the upper echelons of the northern city, Pei Che wouldn't fail to recognize Fu Jichen.

Unlike the Pei family, the Fu family's structure was extremely complex, with a large number of members. If there was one person in this generation who was the most complicated, it would undoubtedly be Fu Jichen.

The man with Shen Jiannian turned out to be Fu Da.

Meeting Pei Che's eyes, Shen Jiannian's stiff body trembled slightly, her face visibly pale, turning away and refusing to look at him.

"Xiao Nian..." Pei Che called out to her hoarsely.

Only her parents and Pei Che would call her Xiao Nian. Even though Bai Changxia had a good relationship with her, he always called her Jiannian. Since her parents passed away, no one had called her that anymore, making it feel like a lifetime ago.

Shen Jiannian closed her eyes tightly, as if she hadn't heard him, her voice dryly commanding, "Drive."

Qu Mo didn't listen to her command. He glanced at his boss through the rearview mirror.

The car's heater gradually dissipated as the door was left open, causing a chill. Fu Jichen raised his hand to stroke Shen Jiannian's smooth hair, speaking deliberately, "Since you two are acquaintances, I'm sure there's a lot to talk about. Would you like Pei Young Master to come to the manor to catch up, or do you want to finish talking privately outside? What do you think, Jiannian?"

Shen Jiannian gave Fu Jichen a strange look. What was he up to?

Pei Che wasn't afraid of Fu Jichen. He just looked at Shen Jiannian, his eyes filled with deep pain. "Xiao Nian, come down, I have something to tell you."

"I have nothing to say to you." Shen Jiannian turned her back to him, her tone resolute, her hand resting on her lap about to tear the hem of her clothes.

Fu Jichen gently patted her shoulder, generously saying, "Don't be like this, Pei Young Master came all the way from the northern city. It's better to clear things up."

Shen Jiannian's temper flared, yelling at him, "I said I don't want to see him!"

Fu Jichen didn't object, just smiled faintly.

The streetlights outside flickered and then went out suddenly. Fu Jichen's face was shrouded in darkness, his voice cold and distant, rejecting him outright, "Pei Young Master heard you. Jiannian doesn't want to see you, please leave."

The car door closed, and Qu Mo followed Fu Jichen's instructions, driving into the manor.

Pei Che, heartbroken, took a few steps forward, but was stopped by the security guards. Then the gate closed, isolating him outside.

The people in the car could faintly hear his desolate voice, mixed with the scattered snow.

"Xiao Nian, I'm sorry—"

Shen Jiannian was carried off the car by Fu Jichen.

Zhou Rongzhen heard the sound of the car and came to open the door. Seeing such a scene, she wasn't surprised, just a little puzzled to see Shen Jiannian's pale face.

Fu Jichen carried the person into the house, whispering softly, "Have you thought it through? Are you really not going to see him? It's so cold out there, maybe he's been waiting for you all night, and you'll see a human-shaped sculpture when you go out tomorrow morning."