Chapter 106: It's All Karma

The crowd, including Fu Jicheng, didn't react immediately. They turned back instinctively upon hearing the sound, only to see Shen Jiani standing there stiffly, half of her face pale and the other half swollen and red.

Seeing Shen Jiani standing there like a puppet, Zhou Ruo went mad, grabbing her arm and shaking her as if she were a punching bag, venting all the pent-up pain and resentment of the past few days through her: "Why are you so heartless? Why couldn't you let him go? If you wanted revenge, you could have come to me instead. Why did you have to harm Che? He liked you so much, you..."

"What are you doing?!" Pei Fengnan's face turned dark, his voice stern as he stopped his wife.

With so many guests present, all of whom were well-versed in social etiquette, did she think it appropriate to mention "revenge" here?

As expected, everyone looked puzzled, and whispers began to spread.

"What is Mrs. Pei talking about? I can't understand a word she's saying."

"Isn't that the one from the Shen family? She actually came back to the northern city. Didn't she make the news with the young master of the Pei family before? According to Mrs. Pei, is the young master's death related to her?"

"How is that possible? They were childhood friends..."

"I saw her just now with Mr. Fu. What's going on?"

"Tsk, rumors may have some truth to them. I heard that the downfall of the Shen family is somehow related to the Pei family."

"You shouldn't spread such rumors."

Fu Jicheng strode over to the two, rescuing Shen Jiani from Zhou Ruo's grasp and shielding her behind him. Facing Zhou Ruo, his eyes were icy: "Mrs. Pei, I understand your pain for losing your beloved son, but please show some restraint in public."

He didn't use honorifics when addressing the elders, indicating his anger.

The people present all turned their gazes to him and Shen Jiani, seemingly catching a glimpse of some earth-shattering secret, each of them astonished.

Zhou Ruo took a step back, her tear-filled eyes scrutinizing the tall and stern man in front of her. She couldn't afford to offend the Fu family, but she was unwilling to let go of the opportunity to question Shen Jiani.

Che's only belongings were a cell phone and a jacket.

The phone was taken to technicians to recover the data. It was found that his last call before his death was to Shen Jiani.

The call was short, and Shen Jiani might have said something that upset him, causing him to lose hope of living.

Driving recklessly in that place, it was clear that he was seeking death.

Earlier this year, one night, Che was drunk and collapsed on the roadside. Someone called the Pei family, and she personally went with the driver to pick him up. Che was unconscious, muttering Shen Jiani's name and saying he would give his life to her.

As a mother, she felt both heartbroken and helpless. After he woke up, she tried to persuade him for a long time, but to no avail.

Recalling these memories, Zhou Ruo felt as if her heart was being torn apart. With red eyes filled with hatred, she stared straight at Shen Jiani: "Say something! What did you do to him? You caused his death, and we couldn't even find his body. Tell me, did you do it on purpose!"

Shen Jiani felt a stranger's expression in Zhou Ruo's eyes.

In the past twenty years, she had always been an elegant and gentle elder, embracing her affectionately and calling her "Xiao Nian," wiping the sweat from her forehead with her hand, smiling and reminding her not to catch a cold.