Chapter 72: Heart-Wrenching

The room was as bright as daylight, with Fu Jichen standing by the French windows, exhaling clouds of smoke. A few cigarette butts and a pile of ash lay at his feet, his deep black eyes staring straight ahead.

The snow had stopped, and the streetlights quietly emitted halos of light in the night, illuminating the fountain pool, octagonal pavilion, the straight and wide main road, and the tall green plants along the road.

But there was no sign of Shen Jiannian.

The servants passing by Fu Jichen instinctively lightened their footsteps, not daring to make any noise to disturb him. Anyone could tell he was in a bad mood.

Zhou Rongzhen occasionally glanced at his back, but didn't dare to go over and ask if he needed supper.

Since Shen Jiannian moved into Rose Manor, the overall atmosphere had changed. Although she was calm and reserved, not speaking much, having one more person around always added some liveliness.

There had been playful banter between her and Mr. Fu, but they had never argued seriously before. Today, for some reason, they had an argument, with one standing here silently smoking and the other running out, not returning until now.

Zhou Rongzhen sighed quietly, diverting some of her attention to the movements outside the door, so she could notice Shen Jiannian first.

She had a premonition that Jiannian wouldn't come back tonight, and Mr. Fu wouldn't be in a good mood. The whole manor would suffer along with him.

Zhou Rongzhen brewed a cup of hot tea and silently placed it on the cupboard next to Fu Jichen—within easy reach for him.

As she turned around, a burnt-out cigarette butt fell to the floor.

Zhou Rongzhen paused for a moment, saying nothing, and went to the kitchen.

Fu Jichen glanced at the steaming cup of tea on the cabinet but didn't touch it. Instead, he picked up the cigarette box and lighter nearby, taking out a cigarette and holding it between his fingers, ready to light it.

Just as he was about to light it, a slender figure appeared outside the French windows.

Fu Jichen's hand holding the lighter dropped down, watching as the figure approached closer and closer. A cold smile tugged at his lips. She had left so decisively, so why was she coming back now?

Was this place a market? If she wanted to come, she could, and if she wanted to leave, she could.

Zhou Rongzhen happened to see Mr. Fu smiling as she came out, although the smile wasn't particularly gentle, it was better than his previously stern expression.

She guessed that Jiannian must have come back. Gathering her courage, she took a few steps forward, and indeed, she saw Jiannian walking back through the window, her shadow stretching long under the streetlights.

After looking at her a few more times, Zhou Rongzhen noticed that something was off. Jiannian was walking with her head down, wiping her face with her hand as she walked. Was she crying?

Zhou Rongzhen didn't know that the snow had stopped. She picked up an umbrella from beside the door, ready to go out and meet Shen Jiannian. Just as she took a step forward, she heard a cold voice behind her: "Don't go."

Zhou Rongzhen froze in place, unsure what to do.

Shen Jiannian didn't know how long she had been walking. Her legs didn't seem to belong to her anymore, just moving forward on instinct. It felt like she had spent a century leaving, and now the same to return.

All the cruel words she had said to Pei Che came back to haunt her like boomerangs, piercing her heart. Why didn't she realize that Pei Che was innocent? Didn't she know that his parents' mistakes had nothing to do with him? Didn't she understand his feelings for her?