Chapter 124 Like a Waiting Wife Stone

Shen JiaNian's lips pressed together, indicating her silent agreement.

Bai Changxia stopped in her tracks, turned to face her, and asked, puzzled, "Why would you think that? They say matters of the heart are beyond our control. I've never been in love, so I don't know much about it, but I believe liking someone is just liking them, there's no 'should' or 'shouldn't'."

Under the sun, people moved around outside the temple, and Fu Jicheng was outside another gate, his figure not visible. Shen JiaNian closed her eyes briefly. "You wouldn't understand."

"I think Fu Jicheng cares about you a lot." Bai Changxia paused, as if struck by inspiration, and hit the nail on the head, "Is it because of his family's connections?"

She guessed right for the most part, so Shen JiaNian decided to lay it all out. "His grandfather arranged a marriage for him with the daughter of the Xu family. Do you know about the Xu family? They're a prestigious family with many high-ranking officials. Their family background matches his well, and their union would greatly benefit Fu Jicheng's career."

Bai Changxia's throat moved slightly. She understood to some extent that families like the Fu's, which had been wealthy for generations, placed great importance on matching status in marriage to ensure the continuation of wealth and status.

Marriage for alliances was common; true love was rare.

If the Shen family hadn't encountered trouble, they might not have had the chance to connect with the Fu family. Besides, if things hadn't gone awry, Shen JiaNian might have been engaged to Pei Che and eventually married him, and Pei Che might still be alive.

Everything seemed to be the arrangement of fate.

"What does Fu Jicheng think about it?"

As she spoke, Bai Changxia glanced at the gate, partially obscured by a wall. Even though she couldn't see him, she could imagine his tall, noble figure amidst the surroundings.

Even in the secular world, he exuded an aura untouched by dust.

"JiaNian, you should seriously ask him what he thinks, after all, it's his marriage." Affairs in wealthy households were far removed from the lives of ordinary people, so Bai Changxia wasn't sure how practical her advice was, but she felt compelled to say it. "Until it's a done deal, there's still hope. Fu Jicheng is a resourceful and strategic businessman. If he's really set on you, he won't sit idly by."

Fu Jicheng had said he wouldn't marry the daughter of the Xu family, a fact Shen JiaNian hadn't shared with Bai Changxia. She forced a faint smile. "I haven't thought about it that much."

Fu Jicheng was a man of great ambition; he wouldn't be constrained by mere romantic feelings. Why bother him with unnecessary worries?

Since he was unwilling to let her go for now, she would accompany him a little longer. When he no longer needed her, she would leave gracefully.

"I need to use the restroom, do you want to come?" Bai Changxia changed the subject, scanning the surroundings. "Where's the restroom? There aren't even any signs."

Shen JiaNian sighed lightly, letting go of the somewhat heavy topic. "Let's ask a passerby."

Bai Changxia asked several passersby, all of whom were tourists from out of town and unfamiliar with the location of the restroom.

Shen JiaNian went straight to a young monk in robes and asked him for directions.

The young monk had clear features and bowed to her before pointing in a direction.

After thanking him, Shen JiaNian went with Bai Changxia through a side door, occasionally glancing outside, worried that Fu Jicheng might get impatient waiting.