Chapter 76: Made the News

The moment the phone rang, Pei Che woke up. His head was pounding, his body felt weak, and he didn't open his eyes. He heard Shen Jianne's voice and thought he was still dreaming.

Reluctant to shatter the dream that came so hard-won, he longed to keep hearing her voice.

It wasn't until the talking stopped that he opened his eyes and met Shen Jianne's calm gaze. He realized it wasn't a dream; she was on the phone with someone.

It wasn't hard to guess who was on the other end of the line.

"You're awake?" Shen Jianne was the first to react, standing up, her face as indifferent as it was last night. "The bar couldn't reach your family, so they called me. Since you're awake, hurry up and get your family here. I'll leave first."

Without waiting for him to respond, Shen Jianne picked up her bag and left.

"Xiao Nian..." Pei Che called out her name with red eyes, reaching out to grab her, not wanting her to leave, but forgetting about his injuries. Losing his balance, he fell off the bed heavily, only managing to touch a corner of her clothes with his fingertips.

"What are you doing?!" Shen Jianne turned around to see him falling heavily onto the tiled floor, startled and alarmed, shouting angrily.

She dropped her bag and tried to lift him up with both hands, wanting to help him, but her strength wasn't enough. After a few attempts to pull him up failed, she prepared to ring the bell to call the nurse. But he grabbed her tightly, holding her in his arms.

"Xiao Nian, don't go, don't leave me, okay?" Pei Che ignored the pain in his body, his arms locking tightly around her, afraid that she would disappear if he slackened even a bit. "Without you, I don't know what meaning there is to live in this world. Tell me, what should I do?"

Shen Jianne pursed her lips, not responding to his heartbreaking pleas.

Pei Che's voice was hoarse as he begged her over and over, "As long as you don't leave me, I'm willing to do anything."

"Let go, I'll call the doctor." Shen Jianne said angrily, "Do you want to die here?"

Pei Che refused to let go no matter what. She had to pry his fingers apart. Weak all over, she stood up and pressed the button on the bed.

Soon, the nurse arrived.

"How did he fall?" The nurse was startled. "He hit his head and needed thirteen stitches. There's a risk of concussion. He shouldn't be moving around anymore."

Shen Jianne's heart ached at the news of thirteen stitches...

"Can you please help?" The nurse called out to her.

Shen Jianne cooperated with the nurse, helping to get him back onto the bed.

The nurse sighed and instructed her, "I'll call the doctor to come and examine him. You watch him and make sure he doesn't move."

Shen Jianne helplessly stayed in the ward, waiting for the doctor to arrive. She looked at Pei Che, whose face had become even paler after the commotion. "I made myself clear last night."

Pei Che turned his head towards her, his gaze fixed straight on her, asking her only one question, "Xiao Nian, do you still love me?"

Shen Jianne suddenly pursed her lips tightly, not answering his question.

Pei Che asked again, "Can you forget the twenty years of feelings between us?"

Shen Jianne still didn't answer.

"We grew up together, and all our growth was seen and felt by each other. Can you really just let go like that? I can't. I can never forget in my whole life. Even if we're not meant to be together, living in this world without you is no different from being a walking corpse."