Chapter 75: Sustaining Injuries

Since she had decided to cut ties cleanly, Shen Jiannian didn't want to drag things out any longer with Pei Che.

A clean break was better than a lingering pain.

She didn't answer the phone and got out of bed to freshen up in the bathroom.

The phone kept ringing incessantly, each time automatically hanging up and then calling again, as if it wouldn't stop until Shen Jiannian answered, much like Pei Che's persistent nature.

In the past, he always did whatever she asked, but this time, she had made it clear that she didn't want to see him again. He should understand her intentions.

What was he trying to do?

Shen Jiannian came out of the bathroom, set her phone to silent mode so she wouldn't hear the ringtone and be bothered by it.

She deliberately left her phone in the room and went downstairs to have breakfast. The weather outside was bad, and she didn't feel like going out, so she returned to her room to continue sleeping since there was nothing else to do.

The phone screen lit up and dimmed repeatedly, reminding her that the person on the other end hadn't given up and was still calling her incessantly.

Shen Jiannian lay on the bed, staring blankly at the ceiling for a while, her fingers hesitatingly touching the phone. Eventually, she picked it up and answered the call, holding it to her ear.

"Hello, are you a friend of Mr. Pei?" came a strange male voice through the phone.

Shen Jiannian was instantly stunned, asking for the caller's identity, "May I ask who you are?"

"I'm a waiter at Cookie Bar. Well, Mr. Pei got drunk at our bar last night and sustained some injuries. We couldn't contact his family, and he kept calling out the name 'Xiao Nian.' I had no choice but to call this number. Would you mind coming over?" The person on the other end sounded awkward. "I have to go back to the bar; I can't stay at the hospital for long."

Shen Jiannian's brow furrowed tightly. "He's in Yicheng?"

"Yeah," the person confirmed. "That's right."

Pei Che didn't know anyone in Yicheng, and it was impossible for the bar waiter to stay with him. He probably left when he couldn't wait any longer.

The waiter said he sustained only minor injuries, but was he intentionally downplaying the severity to avoid responsibility, or was he really not seriously injured? Shen Jiannian wasn't sure.

She lowered her head deeply, her face buried in her palm, exhaustion evident on her face. Why did she always find herself in such dilemmas? Why couldn't she have a peaceful and calm life?

Shen Jiannian lifted her head from her palm, changed her clothes, and left to go to the hospital.

In the hospital room, the bar waiter was still wearing his work clothes: a white shirt, a black suit vest, a bow tie around his neck, and a slightly worn-out down jacket over it. He handed Pei Che's phone to the woman by the bedside, yawning tiredly. "I explained everything to the lady as you instructed. She should be coming."

Yin Shuyao took Pei Che's phone and placed it on the bedside table. Seeing that the waiter showed no signs of leaving, she sneered inwardly, took out a wad of cash from her purse, and handed it to him. "Take the money and keep your mouth shut."

The waiter didn't bother counting the cash and stuffed it into his pocket, smiling obsequiously. "I understand, I understand."

Seeing that Yin Shuyao was about to leave soon, he couldn't help but glance back at the man lying on the hospital bed with a reluctant expression.