Chapter 73: Miss Yuling

The journey back was quiet, with Shen Jiannian curled up in the spacious seat, her shoes off.

Her ankle throbbed faintly, her body and heart exhausted. The scattered emotions ebbed away like tides, leaving her feeling drowsy, her head nodding off little by little.

The ride wasn't long, and when they arrived at Rose Manor, Shen Jiannian didn't let Fu Jichen carry her. Instead, she put on her slippers and got out of the car.

The hospital had given her a bottle of iodine, instructing her to apply it to the wound two to three times a day until it healed. She carried the small bag upstairs to her room, first heading to the bathroom.

"Jiannian, I'm coming in," Zhou Rongzhen's voice came from outside.

Shen Jiannian had just finished showering and drying her hair. Upon hearing Zhou Rongzhen's voice, she responded.

The door opened, and Zhou Rongzhen came in carrying food. A bowl of steaming duck soup, a plate of pan-fried dumplings sprinkled with green onions and white sesame seeds, accompanied by a small dish of dipping sauce, its aroma rich with vinegar.

"Mr. Fu asked me to bring you some supper," Zhou Rongzhen said, finding a place to set down the tray and pausing for a moment.

Shen Jiannian had eaten something at the dinner party, so she wasn't hungry. But she didn't want to waste Auntie Zhou's kindness, so she nodded and said, "I'll eat it later."

She unscrewed the lid of the iodine bottle, dabbing a cotton swab into it and applying it to the wound. The remaining dark brown liquid that wasn't absorbed trickled down, threatening to soil the sofa beneath her feet.

Shen Jiannian worked clumsily, but thankfully Zhou Rongzhen handed her a tissue just in time to prevent the expensive sofa from being stained.

Zhou Rongzhen brought a trash can for her convenience, then unexpectedly spoke up: "Mr. Fu still cares about you."

Shen Jiannian lifted her clean eyes, looking at her without speaking.

Zhou Rongzhen continued, "When you turned and left, Mr. Fu stood by the French windows and smoked several cigarettes, his mood particularly sour."

Shen Jiannian wasn't afraid of being laughed at, so she self-deprecatingly said, "Perhaps to him, I'm more like his personal belonging. He just doesn't like anyone coveting his things."

"How could you think like that, Jiannian?" Zhou Rongzhen found it incredulous.

Shen Jiannian shook her head, not explaining further.

There were things Auntie Zhou didn't understand, but she knew herself well enough.

Zhou Rongzhen realized she had overstepped by saying those words. The first rule as a servant was to speak less and do more, so she smiled and changed the subject, "Once you're done eating, just leave the dishes. I'll come clean up in the morning. Get some rest."

"Okay." Shen Jiannian understood Auntie Zhou's intention, both to care for her and for Fu Jichen's sake. "Thank you, Auntie Zhou. You should rest early too."

With just her in the room, she tied up her hair and sat at the table to eat her supper.

She ate three of the pan-fried dumplings and drank about half of the soup. Unable to finish the rest, Shen Jiannian propped her chin up with her hand, her gaze vacant.

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door, "Knock, knock," twice.

Shen Jiannian set down her chopsticks and went to open the door, already guessing who it was.