Chapter 118: Being a Waiter

As people continued to arrive at the bus stop, Shen Jiani didn't occupy a seat. She stood up and took a few steps forward, just in time to hear a car honking nearby.

As if sensing something, she looked to her right and saw a black Bentley stopping not far away. She hurried over, pulling open the passenger door and getting in. She fastened her seatbelt and asked, "Don't you need to go back to the company this afternoon?"

Fu Jichen started the engine. "Taking half a day off."

Shen Jiani replied with an "Oh," watching as his slender fingers rested on the steering wheel, effortlessly maneuvering it with a slight turn and then letting go, allowing the wheel to return to its original position.

After driving for a short distance and finding a place to turn around, Fu Jichen casually asked, "Why did we end up here?"

He had passed by a hospital on his way from the company, probably the one where Shen Jiani visited the patient, about ten kilometers away from their current location.

Shen Jiani couldn't come up with an answer. She absentmindedly scratched the edge of her leather bag with her fingers and said, "Just wandering around."

Fu Jichen glanced at her unexpectedly. "Wandering around for ten kilometers?"

Shen Jiani had been lost in her thoughts, walking aimlessly without paying attention to the time or the route, and ended up walking this far without realizing it.

"Is something on your mind?" During a red light, Fu Jichen reached out and held her hand.

His palm was always warm and dry, devoid of any calluses due to his privileged upbringing. It felt like a warm stove, spreading heat through her fingers and limbs.

She started to feel warm all over.

Shen Jiani glanced at him, her eyes filled with an undisclosed struggle.

She had already decided to talk to him about stopping the transaction today, but thinking about it and actually saying it were two different things.

She hadn't organized her thoughts yet, and she didn't know how he would react. To be honest, she felt quite nervous.

"The light's green." Shen Jiani caught sight of a white car moving slowly ahead of them and reminded him.

Fu Jichen gave her hand a squeeze, then let go and focused on driving, following the car ahead as it moved.

He couldn't help but guess, "Did seeing the patient's condition at the hospital affect your mood?"

Shen Jiani pursed her lips. It could be one of the reasons. Seeing Baichang Xia's mother weak and ill, and hearing about Pei Fengnan's imminent demise, made her realize how fragile life could be.

"Yeah, her mother's condition doesn't look good," Shen Jiani confirmed his speculation.

Before Fu Jichen could offer any words of comfort, he received a call about work. He listened quietly for a while, then gave his opinion, "Stabilize Lawrence first. I'll come over once I'm done with the project here."

Shen Jiani could tell from the urgency in the caller's voice that the matter was pressing. It was a mix of Chinese and English, and when Fu Jichen hung up, she asked, "Are you going on a business trip?"

"Probably need to go abroad soon," Fu Jichen confirmed.

Shen Jiani knew he was busy, but she only caught glimpses of the tip of the iceberg. In reality, he had to make decisions on various matters, big and small, at home and abroad. Any misstep could result in significant losses. His brain worked at high speed all day long, even during rest, he had to think about the next stage of work.